Chapter 8

When she stood this close he could see the anger in her eyes and how much she hated him in that moment. It was an expression he had seen so often on various people that it didn't take much to recognize. But there was also something else, something she tried to hide from him. Once he had noticed it in her eyes, it appeared to be the most obvious thing and he couldn't believe how he had missed it before. Something about this deeply hidden expression felt so oddly familiar to him that he didn't dare questioning her about it.

Right in this moment as she stood in front of him, only illuminated by the moonlight occasionally breaking through the clouds, he felt defeated. The anger in her eyes, caused by his previous remarks, was squeezing the air right out of his lungs and he wanted it to stop.

"I don't regret it." His voice was quiet now and almost calm.

Ivy blinked a few times as if only now waking up from a dreamlike state of mind. "What?" The anger had vanished from her voice; it was now just as calm as Loki's.

"I don't regret that I saved you." He said once more, more certain this time, before breaking the connection by looking to his left, then his right, anywhere but at her.

"But I do." She whispered a few seconds later, making Loki's eyes turn right back to hers. The sincerity he found in them caught him like a cold lightning from within, making his lips part ever so slightly.

Now it was Ivy's turn to look away, clearing her throat, and taking a few steps backwards once she realized how close she stood to Loki.

In an instant he had caught himself again, going back to his normal stoic self. But he wouldn't forget what he had seen in her eyes that short moment ago, nor would he ever forget how it had made him feel.

"We should really leave this place." Ivy said then, pulling herself together once more. She hadn't meant to say what she did, she hadn't even noticed the words leaving her lips until it was too late. It was something she kept hidden deep within her, only to surface when she was sure no one would notice. No, she was strong, she was playful and she was smart. That's what she had to show. That's who she had to be right now.

"We should really leave this place." She said once more, repeating herself involuntarily. Of course Loki noticed, but he decided to keep quiet about it. Just like he decided to keep quiet about everything that had just happened. If he were to remark on it, he would risk giving away too much of himself and that was not an option.

"Where are we going?" He finally asked, for once forgetting about his urge to be in control. The whole situation had thrown him off quite a bit.

"Do you trust me?" Ivy asked, back to her ever so present smirk. And before Loki could answer, she had already grabbed his wrist and gone they were, only a short moment before the door to Sif's chambers was opened.

Loki found himself at the outer rim of the forest, surrounded by darkness. Ivy stood right next to him, frowning a little.
"Are you alright?" He asked and turned towards her before he could stop this expression of concern from showing.

Ivy smiled at him. "Do I hear worry in your voice?" She teased, but when his expression went from neutral to clearly annoyed, she stopped smirking. "Yes, I am fine. I'm just not specifically used to..." Her mind caught on, making her stop mid-sentence. "This situation is rather new to me." She finally said calmly.

"But is this..." Loki mentioned to their surroundings, "...really where you wanted us to go?"

"Actually, yes!" She smiled, satisfied with herself.

"Then not all hope is lost on you..." Loki muttered under his breath while looking around with a frown.

"What was that?"