Chapter 15

Warnings: language, some slight violence, some groping (very brief tho)

Because nothing happened. Not one part of his body touched her at all, nor did he say anything, but she could still feel that he was standing right behind her. A second later she found herself standing in the middle of a small alleyway in the city. Slightly confused, she turned around to face Loki. "You said let's go and I only wanted to help." He smiled innocently, winking at her.

Ivy rolled her eyes, turning towards the crossing with a busier street. It was around noon, which meant they needed to disguise themselves if they wanted to find out anything without being found in return today. She let out a long breath, crossing her arms over her chest. Her last times in the city didn't go too well and she felt her confidence slowly slip.

"Ivy..." Loki said quietly and tapped her shoulder, making her turn around once more. "You'll be fine. I'm right here with you." He said gently.

Ivy nodded. "Yeah you're right, I shouldn't worry." She let out a small sigh and shifted her shape into the blonde woman once again.

Loki followed her example, changing into a brunette man with curly and rather short hair.

"Lookin' good!" Ivy commented, smiling at him.

"You look horrible." Loki responded, smirking. "I think you're way more beautiful as yourself."

Ivy rolled her eyes and headed towards the busy street with Loki following closely behind.

"So... What are we going to do now?" He asked quietly once they walked down the streets next to each other.

"We'll see." Ivy replied, tense from the crowd around them. "Let's think... Who has an interest in poisoning a lot of people?"

A few people pushed past them in that moment, forcing Loki and Ivy apart and they lost sight of each other. Ivy only saw incredibly tall people around herself, pushing her into every direction, stepping onto her feet and ignoring her presence. She whined at the pain that followed as someone elbowed her into the ribs.

Suddenly her hand was grabbed by a larger one and she heard Loki's voice closely behind her. "Is it okay if I hold your hand?" He asked softly. "I don't want to lose you in the crowd."

Ivy nodded confidently, interlacing their fingers and pulling him with her through the crowd until they reached an emptier street.

"You know, if I were to poison a lot of people with different plants from Midgard, I firstly would have to even get access to every good that people will consume." Ivy said finally, turning to face Loki who was still holding onto her hand tightly. "You know, it has to be someone who has access to the poison and also to the things they want to put the poison in."

"Maybe someone working in the palace?" Loki suggested, watching the people around them with care.

"It still doesn't explain why someone would do that. You know, there has to be any reason behind it. Even if the reason is 'just for fun'."

"You think 'just for fun' is a reason to kill people?" Loki laughed.

"Yeah...?" Ivy answered with a frown, unsure what answer he expected her to give.

"Oh geez, are you even real?" He whispered to himself with a slight groan.

"You know... I kinda have a theory." Ivy said and stopped in the middle of an empty street, leaning against the wall of a house.

"Then spill the tea, my dear..." Loki stood in front of her, watching her face while she explained.

"I think something that seems just so random as this must have the most complex pattern behind it. It needs a very specific pattern to create a completely random selection of places where to put the poison. You know what I'm aiming at?"