Chapter 1: What just Happened?

"Dominic Miller, you have been chosen for the Otherworld Ortus Project. Prepare to be born anew."

At the sound of the voice, I whipped my head around to see a orb of light, about the size of a soccer ball floating in the air. I tried to move but some invisible force restrained me. Almost instantly, my mind began to go dark. The only thing I could cognitively think of was "But my ham sandwich!?!"

I know, this is pretty lame for a first reaction.

My name is Dominic Miller. A honestly plain name, given to a average person. I wasn't good looking, but I wasn't unbearable. I wasn't fat, but I wasn't super muscular. I wasn't short, but I wasn't super tall.(I was actually taller than the average person in my grade) I should note that I was also a Junior in High School. While I wasn't a super genius, I was smart enough and had a good memory that I could get good grades fairly easy. And of course, as some of you who have been there might understand, I slacked off a lot. I didn't really do sports so I had free time after school.

At first, I read tons of books during my free time. Maybe a thousand?(I was going to brag but I realized I never counted and I didn't want to seem as an overbearing narrator). I should note that I wasn't into Non-Fiction(though reading some Non-Fiction is not bad for you), but rather Fiction. I read books were kids gained magical powers and saved a fantasy world, or of magical worlds were wizards cast impressive spells and knights honed their skill (Some of those were really bad). I also read tons of fantasy and adventure, you know, the good stuff. Then I progressed to watching anime. For two years I watched, swallowed, absorbed, and stared at insane amounts of anime (Do not ask how I watched hundreds of episodes, but rather, ask your fellow readers or yourself, as many have experienced this time dilation phenomenon). I then read manga online at official sites after I got to the point where I was watching anime as it came out week by week. I was at the manga stage when the beginning events of my story took place. (For those who have already forgotten what happened due to my unending monologue, just scroll and read from the beginning in a never ending cycle).

Oh, and I am single (T_T) ...

Back to the Story

After I fainted, I regained conscience in a strange situation. It was a bit like when you wake up but you are still trying to sleep, if that explains it at all. Except I was in the dark and couldn't move my body or open my eyes. I struggled to move but it felt like I was chained in a severe gravity room(Again, it was weird and it is hard to explain). I didn't count but after lying(floating?) in this weird space I heard the same voice from earlier. "Begin Otherworld Ortus Project start sequence. World selected. Candidate ready for transfer. Start Ortus." Immediately my mind went numb; not from pain but something different, almost similar to getting a bright light shined in your eye, but instead your mind. I began to feel sluggish and and struggled to open my eyes. Upon doing so, my eyes hurt as light entered. I tried again, and as I opened them a heard a (different) voice say, "Its a boy!"

What?!? My hair isn't that long. I got it cut two weeks ago.

I think I am going to skip the boring part and start to pick up the pace with my story.

After a couple weeks, I could say with confidence this was not some weird dream or me high on drugs. I learned a couple of things. My Father in this world's name was Arthur Armis and my Mother's name was Beldria Armis. My new name was Nathaniel Armis, which sounds a lot better than my last one. This world spoke the language I was used to speaking, and I hoped it coaligned with the written language as well. It wasn't until my father burnt his hands while cooking that I truly understood my position. Taking what looked like burn cream, my Mom applied it gently to my Father's hands. My eyes widened (as much as they could for a two week  old baby) as a green glow encircled my Father's burnt hand. "This cream which is applied with basic healing spell sure comes in handy." my Father said out loud. Thanks Dad.

With this new information I couldn't help but feel excited. I had read enough manga and watched enough anime that starting magic training or cultivation young always made you overpowered. Wait... Is this a world with mana? Chakra? Soul Strength? Magic Energy?...

I began by tackling them one by one. Don't laugh, but it must have been funny to watch a baby try to make hand signs. I read enough reincarnation manga to now that time was the essence. After experimenting, I learned several things. First, it seems there was mana as the magic source in this world. Second, there was definitely some sort of cultivating I could do when I tried different meditating. Third, I couldn't just will elemental spells. By this I mean I couldn't think, "Fire" and a flame would appear on my finger. I sure hope I don't need to draw complex magic circles to perform magic.

After discovering what I called mana, I began what I call my Baby Training Cycle(BTC). I pushed out through my hands my internal "mana" until it was empty. I then slept. And slept. And then repeat. I definitely think that being a baby was restricting. Through this BTC I could feel my internal mana pool slowly getting bigger. I tried to absorb in mana from the air around me, but it didn't work at all. This definitely isn't your common manga magic world.

Author's Note:

 As always, grammar and punctuation are vital for an author's success. If you (while reading this story) notice anything that might be in need of correction and feel a need to help out, just leave a comment with the first line being "This might be a thing to change". As an author I might miss things and read it differently, as I know what it should say in my head. It will also help me keep track of certain comments dealing with my errors, and when I have the time I'll try to improve the noted sections. Thank you as always, and I hope you continue to enjoy my story!

PLEASE READ THIS ⬇⬇⬇

Also, I feel like this chapter doesn't quite fulfill what I wanted it to do. So, if you are just reading this for the first time, keep on going. There are 20 chapters out(as of Aug 30, releases every Friday), and the story only gets better. At the beginning it is a little fast paced, as I had to get to an age where Nathaniel and UNKNOWN CHARACTER could interact easier with the world around them. If you are reading this, just go ahead and binge read all the chapters. Make sure to like and comment down below on anything that could help my writing.