Chapter 24: Xetral Circulation

Staring at the clear blue lake, I could almost sense the rateh in the air around us.

"Let us begin your training, Lufis. We will start off by dealing with your xetral levels. To advance to Tier 3, you must expend lots of xetral to gain Xetral Points. Normally this would take a long period of time, as one's xetral takes time to refill. Luckily for you, Moss Cavern is similar to the Acutalis Sanctuary in the fact that xetral flows abundantly here, meaning the normal couple of hours needed to regain your xetral can take a minute at most here. Xetral Circulation is a technique where you absorb xetral from the outside world while expending xetral at the same time. This technique can save your life in a fight, but is very difficult to master. It will be much easier to use it here, as the xetral will be more noticeable and abundant as your body absorbs it. Now, Lufis, do you know what the most effective training method for this technique is?"

"No, what is it?" I said shakily.

"Why, life or death situations of course." Elder Luidong grinned maniacally.

Oh brother....

"Here is how it will work. Your job is survival, to stay standing as long as you can. It is that simple. Do anything you can, the only rule is that you cannot leave the cavern. Are you ready?"

"I  . . . I guess." I swallowed nervously, my palms already getting sweaty. My mind was already thinking of possible futures I could be about experience, none of which I liked.

"Prepare yourself."

Elder Luidong took a stepped toward the lake and then turned back around.

"A bit of advice before we start, make sure to protect yourself with a xetral barrier. And make sure to keep moving."

Turning back around, Elder Luidong began to walk toward the surface of the water. Without even hesitating, he began to walk on the water. Walking across the top of the water, Elder Luidong reached the stone island and sat down.

How . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SMACK!

Pain suddenly coursed through my body as something hit me directly in the chest, something hard and fast, but it disappeared on impact.

"That was the signal for the start of the excerise. Remember what I told you!"

<Fulcio>

Sprinting in a zigzag configuration, I surrounded myself in the thickest xetral barrier I could make.

Running in a random pattern, I could hear thuds as projectiles hit the moss floor around me, only causing me to run faster.

I felt a slight pain in my arm as a projectile struck a glancing blow, hitting my xetral barrier.

After sprinting till the lake was just on the horizon on my vision, I quickly ducked behind a spire of rocks to access the situation. As I crouched, breathing heavily, I realized my xetral was already nearly halfway depleted. That meant I needed to use Xetral Circulation, which . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . which . . . . . . . . . . . . . Elder Luidong hadn't told me how to do.

That crazy old man.

Grabbing a rock on the moss floor next to me, I slowly moved the rock to the right of me till it was peeping out from behind the rock. Immediately, it flew out from my hand as a flying projectile smacked into it.

Silently thanking my smart decision, I quickly surveyed the land. There was nowhere else for me to hide. I had four choices. I could choose to sit here and wait it out till I had more time to think.  Second, I could go up and over the rocks, a suicidal ideal. Third, I could run out from the rock back into the open. Fourth, I could run closer toward the entrance of the Moss Cavern, with the rock outcroping protecting my back. I decided to choose the fourth option.