Chapter 9: The Age of the Hero

"The first step to configure an <etheric blade> is to position the Xetral in the arm, till it gives a gossamer-like appearance." Lufis said out loud as he read the scroll.

"I suppose we just need to thin out the Xetral layer, while are collecting Xetral in our hand and arm, so almost like we did before, Nathaniel."

"Shall we try?" He said while looking at me.

Holding out my arm, I used the method Lufis taught me to bring out my Xetral. Looking over, Lufis' arm was glowing just like mine.

I don't think I have mentioned it yet, but the glow emitted from mana . . Xetral . . same thing . . has a very distinct color. Not a standard blue that I originally expected but rather a white/clear water color. Yes, I think the best way to describe it would be that Xetral looked like a thin layer of clear water.

Looking at me and Lufis' arms, there was one obvious error. The text clearly states that the Xetral layer must have "a gossamer-like appearance". Our layers each respectively had a depth of about a centimeter.

Looking back over, I could see Lufis was frowning.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked.

"If you mean in regards to the thickness of the Xetral layer then yes, I am thinking what you are thinking. This is the first obstacle we must overcome."

I wish I could say that we figured out minutes later how to create the perfect layer, but I can't. What ended up happening was Lufis went completely silent, brow furrowed, staring at his arm. I meanwhile decided to read some of the books around the room.

Walking over to his bookshelf, I sat down on the floor next to the bottom shelf.

Picking up a book with a red cover tilted, "The History of Camiare for Beginners", I opened to the first chapter and read the following:

CHAPTER 1: The Age of the Hero

"The Kingdom of Camiare was founded in the year 673F.D. The tale of the founding of this great kingdom involves the brave story of a young warrior, named Roland Lentideniz. Roland was raised during a period where demons ran amok, pillaging villages and killing thousands. In fact, ancient legend tells of an old saying, "Good luck hunting deer, your more likely to find demons.". The demons originate from the region southwest of present day Camiare, in the place now known as the "Demon Wasteland".

Roland, who lived in the northern part of Camiare, lived in a small farming village. On the night of the harvest festival, several third class Zeniv demons led by a first class Jeknal demon attacked the peaceful village. Roland, who managed to escape after watching his family being killed by a first level Jeknal demon, became obsessed with revenge. This revenge lead Roland to swear a personal vow not to rest until he had banished all the demons from the land.

Wanting to get stronger, Roland trained under the great swordmaster Herbold. Here, Roland learned many of the sword skills he is famous for, especially his most famous <Heavenly Swing>. After he finished training under Herbold, it is rumored that Roland could even slice a 300 year old tree in half in one swing. For a period of about seven months, Roland spent time in the Watire Woods, near the present-day eastern border of Camiare, killing demons and learning through actual combat.

Still thirsting for more power to fight the demons, Roland found and was taught by a famous Xetralite of the day, Wilton Gress. Here Roland learned more about Gamic and how to utilize Xetral and Rateh. Roland had a special Mental deviant ability, that is, he could give a considerable boost in stats to anyone that he considered comrades. This deviant become known as Lion Roar. After mastering both of these arts of gamic and swordsmanship, Roland began to raise on army to fight the demons.

But raising an army was not an easy task. Many wanted to stay put and protect their families and land. In a historical campaign across the land, known as "Roland's Cry", Roland went from village to town slowly convincing the people that the time to stand and fight the demons was now. He used convincing arguments that got the people to side, often unintentionally, in his favor. As his numbers grew, his popularity and fame spread throughout the whole region. Soon, Roland had amassed an army totaling several thousand.

On that fateful day, now known as Rolanosh day, Roland and his forces defeated a large horde of demons. In the battle, Roland himself fought an slew the commanding first class Dertaz demon in a decisive victory against the demon mob. Throughout the following years, Roland won back the land for the people with his military campaign. On what is now known as Victory day, Roland and his army slew the last demons located in present day Camiare. Soon after this event, the people clamored for Roland to be crowned king of a newly created kingdom.

Roland, in perhaps one of the most humbling moments of history, declined the offer and rather handed kingship to Peter von Grishbark, a well known diplomat and a benevolent person loved by the people. After Peter von Grishbark was crowned king, Roland Lantideniz retired from the public limelight. He was only seen at special parades and ceremonies in the capital. The Lantideniz line still serves the crown to this day. The Grishbark line also still rules over Camiare to this day."

Closing the book, I closed my eyes in thought.

So Lufis was the latest in the lineage of a legendary hero, who saved this land and then founded this country? I wasn't expecting that. If anything, I expected the original king to be the main hero of the country.

One question I did have was about the public life of the Lantideniz family that followed after Roland. I can understand if he didn't want to take the fame and rule, but why has no other ambitious person appeared in his family lineage and wanted to use their name to take the kingship of Camiare? I wonder if they are raised that way or if humility is in their blood.

Glancing at Lufis, I could see that he was still trying to figure out step one of how to configure a <etheric blade>. By following my original method for condensing mana, I could form a "thin" Xetral layer, but not "a gossamer-like appearance". I did not know how much time had passed since I had come over to Lufis' house, but from the position of the sun, I could assume it had been at least two hours(I am ignoring the part where I kept trying to get "a gossamer-like appearance" by using my original method very slowly and carefully).

I suppose if I did this over and over again for a very long time I might be able to get it to be the right appearance, but I was still hoping to find a better way. My chain of thought was then suddenly interrupted by a sudden and ecstatic shout.

"I got it!" Lufis shouted.

Glancing at his arm, I could verify that he had, indeed, "a gossamer-like appearance" of Xetral around his arm.