Chapter 29: Hunting Expedition

Lufis POV

“So, um, can someone please explain to me why I am tagging along?” Edward asked as he trudged up the mountain cliffside, following behind us.

Elder Luidong, upon reaching the top of the rocky incline, turned back to face Edward. “Instead of thinking about the negatives, you must think more about the positives. As a wise man once said: “The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.””

Edward sighed, resting on his knees as he reached the top of the hill. “I feel like I could be much more productive by reading in the library.  As Monk Guan, the librarian who is a wise man that I know, says, “A book is like a house of gold or a garden carried in one’s pocket.”.”

A touch of a smile blossomed on Elder Luidong’s face. “True, a book can be compared to that of man’s best friend, guide, and teacher. However, as another wise man once said: “Studying is like climbing a mountain,””

“Of course, reading and studying takes effort, but what does that have to do with me being here?” Eward tilted his head, thinking in afterthought. “Wait. Elder, are you trying to be literal here?”

“What do you mean?” Elder Luidong chuckled wryly. “Want to hear something interesting Edward? Make sure to learn this one; take it deep to heart, and then apply it to life and the current situation you are in. As a wise man once said: "It's better to walk thousands of miles than to read thousands of books.”

Edward flopped to the ground in defeat. “Well, um, got nothing really to say to that. Hey Lufis, mind throwing me a lifeline, or provide some supporting backup? I would really appreciate it. Like really please. Don’t do this to me.”

I grinned “Your on your own, Ed. You got into this yourself; you dug yourself a really deep hole, that turned into a tunnel, which then collapsed with you in it. You were the one who decided to proverb battle an Elder. Did your survival instincts not warn you that you had zero percent chance of success? I am afraid to say, it’s too late to save you, sorry.”

“Now, now children, we must continue on with our treck.” Elder Luidong said as Edward clutched his heart and fell to the ground.

Drinking from my canteen, I continued up the path after Elder Luidong as he began to move ahead.

Earlier today after my training, he had told me that he would appreciate it if I accompanied him on ann expedition to exterminate a shizishou, a monster regional to the Acutalis Mountains. These beasts normally stay far away from monks, but recently a certain bold Shizishou has been straying closer and closer to the Sanctuary, hoping to feed off the herds raised by the monks. Thus Elder Luidong had self-elected himself to deal with the pesky beast.

Though I have no idea how Edward ended up coming with us. I will have to ask him later.

The stone mountains were bathed in a smoky fog, which dampened the various mosses, causing them to proliferate on the jagged cliffs and rocky boulders. The terrain was uncharted and slippery for a lack of better words. The seemingly constant scenery of moss covered rocks blended together, forming an almost otherworldy terain I could have never dreamed off. On the other hand, Edward’s trousers will probably have permanent mud stains on the knees after how many times he has fallen now.

“Hey Edward, look over here!” I called, turning around.

“I’m here, I’m here. What do you want, Lufis, buddy old pal?”

That buddy sounded a little vehement.

“Look down there! You can see the waterfall crashing down below!”