Chapter 22: Elder Luidong

Lufis POV

Scooping some of the scrambled eggs onto my plate, I headed toward the table where my parents were sitting down.

"Morning Lufis, did you sleep well?"

"Yeah I did, Mom. I only woke up once to the monk snoring in the room below mine."

My dad laughed. "You should have seen your face the first couple of weeks every time you came down for breakfast! Your tired angry face is so cute!"

I could feel my cheeks going red in embarrassment. "He snores really loud! Nearly as loud as you!!!"

My mom laughed. "You know dear, Lufis does have a point."

My father threw up his hands on exasperation. "I can beat a Jeknal demon with one eye closed, but I can't win a conversation with my own family!"

Life at Xinshan mountain was simple and pleasant. My parents were staying at Acutalis Sanctuary to help Arthur and Mrs. Armis cope with the situation. Arthur was still blaming himself for not paying closer attention to Nathaniel's actions, and Mrs. Armis was suffering from similar guilt. I couldn't blame them. I also blamed myself.

I was the only one Nathaniel really talked to. I don't know why, but he always asked me his questions instead of the adults. Sure, he did talk to other people and engaged in conversation with his parents, but all important questions he asked me. Like a couple of weeks ago, when he asked me about status windows. I should have noticed he was advancing fast. How else could he have created a xetral barrier without any instruction? It took me several weeks of reading and practicing to get it. I didn't tell my parents because I wanted to surprise my father as the Lantideniz heir. I wanted to be able to show him I was worthy of being the Lantideniz heir after I had gotten my familix. It just happened we got attacked by gobklins the same day I was going to tell my parents. Nathaniel showed no sign of showing his parents his growth. His eyes were always moving, taking in everything. I could tell he had been training by himself, too.

I blamed myself for not telling Nathaniel about <origo> and everything that happens at tier 4. I had secretly enjoyed answering Nathaniel's questions; it had made me feel smart and knowledgeable. I may know some things, but I honestly know very little in comparison to all the knowledge out there.

"So, Lufis, ready for training with Elder Luidong?"

My dad's words brought me out of my thoughts. "Yes, I can't wait to see what he will teach me."

The other day, Monk Crinitus had recommended to my parents that I get some training since I am here. My mom was already tutoring me with some of the vast collection of books here at the Zhīshi Library. Monk Crinitus had introduced me and my parents to one of the best martial artists here, an old friend of his named Elder Zuidong. A man his late fifties to early sixties, he didn't look as muscular as my dad. In his flowing white robe, he didn't appear like he was very strong. But I wasn't fooled. The way my father treated him with the utmost respect proved to me that he was a master in his own art.

"Are you nearly finished eating yet? Come on Lufis, you don't want to keep Elder Luidong waiting in the Moss Cavern."

"Don't worry, I only have two more bites left."

Finishing my breakfast, I walked over and placed my tray at the kitchen window, waving hi to Monk Crinitus who was on kitchen duty. I guess you could say Crinitus and I had bonded some in the past couple of weeks, me over his knowledge on culinary arts, and him on cakes along with my cake decoration designs.