Chapter 28: Friendship

Lufis POV

"So," Edward said as he kicked a small pebble around the windy path that circled Xinshan mountain, on which we were walking. "Your best friend is currently in a coma, because he reached Tier 4 at a young age without creating his <origo> gamic, all while having a rare special deviant?! My thoughts go to him and all, but, wow, is that one conversation starter. If anyone else had told me all that, I probably wouldn't have believed them."

Stepping out of the way to make room for an elderly passing monk, I smiled somewhat awkwardly. "I get what you mean, it really is quite a story to hear and believe."

Meeting Edward and been a pleasant surprise and we had been hanging out a lot in our free time. He was fun to be with, and it was nice being around someone closer to my age. Also, he was pretty smart and could keep up with me whenever I went on a monologue about a subject. My training had been going well, and I had bruises to prove it.

"Well, how about you? Why are you all the way out here yourself, Edward?" I asked, breaking the moment of silence.

Edward kicked the pebble over to me before sighing. "My Dad wanted to get rid of me. Nothing personal, but as the fifth son I needed to become useful. Originally, he had decided to send me off to become a supervisor for our family's fields, as then I would at least make the people serving our family happy. However, my mother stepped in and convinced him otherwise. Since I am the fifth son, there was not much going for me especially with how well some of my other brothers shine."

"Um-hum." I passed back the pebble to Edward as we started to come around a long bend.

"All things considered, I definitely did not get too bad off. The only other options were working the fields or joining the army when I am older. Right now, my career path is set on being a xetralite professor, which will at least appease my father and his "Omnes enim gloria familiae nomen". Oops." Edward mumbled as he put too much power into his kick and sent the pebble tumbling over the edge into the gaping chasm below.

"Ouch, that sucks." I replied. 

Sadly, what is happening to Edward is very normal among third, fourth, fifth, and so on sons of noblemen. The eldest son inherits the position of head of the family, normally with the second son helping him. Daughters at least can get married off and spread the family's influence. Both are sad and disheartening fates, though this does not always happen. Often these children of noble families still find happiness in life. Joy and happiness in life does not convert to status or power. The real problem is that a portion of these noble heirs will grow up and come to think that status and power does equal happiness and joy. Truly tragic.

Edward shrugged his shoulder as he peered over the edge where the pebble had fallen off as we walked by. "It is all right. I would not mind teaching, and honestly, this place we are in is insanely fascinating. The amount of knowledge here is mindblowing. And all things considered, I really do not have that much of a right to complain with all you got going on, being the successor of the Lantideniz line and chosen as the fulfiller of the Evangiac Prophecy."

I came to a dead standstill and slowly turned to face Edward; with the setting sun over the peaked mountains in the distance, the long shadows seemed to cover the depths of his face with mystery.

Edward reached behind his head to scratch his head. "It was not that hard to figure out, Lufis. In fact, when you said your name was Lufis, I immediately began to suspect. I mean, come on, your name really is not that common. The fact that Lufis Lantideniz, the latest heir of the heroic bloodline, was marked and chosen by the high priest of Evangia is not public information. However, it is a very common topic of discussion among noble households and at private parties for nobility. Sorry for not saying anything earlier, I assumed that you didn't want it to interfere with our friendship. I get it. I hate being praised upon by random people I meet just because I come from a noble family."

The high priest of Evangia . . . 

Memories of the high altar and that day flashed through my mind. Rivers of blood from the sacrifice pooling around my feet. The faces of the nobility as they stared down at me. The man with the blood soaked knife, proclaiming loudly to the nobles the signs being foretold. My destiny, inscribed in the Evangiac Prophecy. The cheers from the audience as the good news that I, Lufis Lantideniz, was the foretold savior of the kingdom. The throne upon which the King sat, as he silently stared down at me, judging me. My father's cold palms as he tightly gripped my shoulders, keeping me grounded. The high, lofty ceiling, from which light streamed from its high beams. The trumpets as they blared tidings of good news. Too many memories. 

"So, why would you tell me all this now?" I asked as I turned back to path in front of me, continuing our trek to the west dining hall.

Edward fell in step to me, as he placed his hands in his pockets. "Well, honestly, our friendship seemed kind of strange. You often tried to hide any clues that might lead me to your identity. You intentionally avoided monks that know you when you are with me so they don't call you by your last name. I have neven even met Monk Crinitus who you have mentioned. I just want to be friends and talk and have fun. Nothing holding us back."

Edward skipped forward, spinning to face me. "Deal?" He said, holding out a hand.

"Deal" I said, shaking his hand.

Edward reached upward, linking his hands together to stretch out his back as he gave a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness that talk went well. I have been visioning this talk for days, but never had enough courage to do so."

"And now you suddenly have an overflowing amount of courage to confront your problems?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Not really," Edward said as he placed his hands back behind his head. "I made a deal with myself. Either I talk to you so we can really and truly be friends, or I forfeit the peach pudding being served tonight."

"So our conversation happened because you couldn't bear to give up your favorite dessert, the rich and smooth peach pudding?" I commented with a smirk.

"Well, something like that."

"So Edward, now that we are being open as real friends now, I have a question for you. Which noble family are you from?" I asked, still slightly embarrassed that Edward had seen through me and had gone along with my act.

"Um . . . well . . . Race you to the Dining Hall!!!" Edward shouted as he spun back around and sprinted off down the path.

I shook my head and sprinted after him.

Hope you all enjoyed the chapter! Make sure to join the discord channel (https://discord.gg/RuRCpTc) so you can connect, get help, and advice from fellow authors. Thanks for all the views, support and love. Happy Holidays!