24] A Rouge Queen

24] A Rouge Queen

Eros' POV

1 week later

The water at the inland island river was dark and curling in and out in special rivulets. It was magic untamed and reckless, something I experienced when I first had the Rough powers flow through me. It wasn't totally uncommon for the Water's Will to gift Mermaids and Merka with unique powers. It depended on the blood, the destiny and the need for species to survive.

I was gifted with power over the Rough, I was therefore the strongest Erebos and the one to save my species. Only 18 of us remained after Lily killed Irsa and the battle picked off our youngest male Erebos... but I blamed myself for both those deaths. In a sick way, I was proud of Lily for showing her jealousy 1 week ago.

I look past the river, through the dense jungle and I spot the pool where my mate is standing by the green water shallows, speaking to a Merka. I was planning to trap Lily in the river currents when she swam out. There was a rocky outcrop near by, an inner cave network, abandoned. It was where the ancient Erebos used to reside on Belle Island. Within island inland caves, with the bats, the leeches and the Belle pythons. When we upgraded from cavern to castle, it was to appear civilized.

Lily didn't understand.

I was not a social animal, I feasted on my kind. Stalking, hunting and planning attacks was a part of my blood. Executing a life, forcing blood from another's veins was like breathing. I didn't care what my food source thought, I had to survive. I would take what I needed.

It was complicated, that one of my main food supplies was now also my mate, and her blood was sweeter than any other. And now, not only was she Lily the half-wit, she was Lily the sweetest half-wit who could control the Rough with the same ferocity as I.

I, the King of an infamous Ezili Clan. The only Erebos in the world who lived in a Clan, the rest in the sea were loners.

Lily was meeting with an old man called Aegir, the temporary, self-proclaimed king of Belle Island, with his red haired son, also called Aegir. Lily, being less of a half-wit today, was speaking to the two Merka with her back up. Six other Darvs stood with her, showing a united front. For whatever reason, Lily had gained respect from the Clans by wearing the Orca teeth necklace and she was becoming a political power head.

I knew all this because I had been spying on her from afar for most of the week. I had sent my own entire Clan away to heal and thrive in all directions of the Deep, until I needed them to unite again, I would invite them back to land.

All I had were my castle, my angry estranged mate and limited knowledge of her change. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know what that Orca necklace meant. I had no historical facts to pull from, only young years of being raised by parents I could barely remember. All I had from my upbringing, was two swords that killed my father, my mother and the majority of my Clan.

Those swords were my truth. Lily was just as lost as I in that sense, she was orphaned, given up. In my own terms, my parents were ripped away. Therefore, we were both lost and working out the currents as we swam towards out legacies.

I had to shoulder the responsibility of Ezili, with no knowledge, and this powerful half-wit who was avoiding me with a smile on her face.

I kindly taught her how to swim. She kindly fucked off.

Admittedly, I had been pushed to do the unthinkable. Fucking Irsa, or pretending too, on that rock, was a show of needless dominance. Lily was so easy to torture, that was my problem.

She was too easy, but I didn't want her any other way. I was the one that had to learn self-control. Torturing my mate was reckless and now she was withdrawn.