[Part2] ⤀ 16] Lessons in Malice

[Part2] 16] Lessons in Malice

5 days later

Halina was always prized with gold medals and never ending praise for swimming through strong currents, faster than any other Mermaid or Merka on the island. She was gaining a lot of popularity; the kind needed to rule a Clan. The rest of my kin, Zandy, Darya, Roanne, Rivea and Vanora, did well. They were doing well. Yes. Just... swell.

Servants of the Water's Will.

At the end of the day, Fantasia advised all of us, we were told our destiny to serve the water, would be separate; not together.

Slowly, everyone would become isolated.

We had to fight for our positions on this Island whether we liked it or not, and we'd clash together over time, it was unsustainable.

I was the first outcast.

One, by one, the rest would follow.

Halina?

Got abandoned this morning by the lovely sisters.

I guess some selfish Siren traits just didn't leave. I find her crying by herself by the training estuary, a shallow inlet from the ocean. She is behind a boulder, and I'm rounding the side, approaching her at her weakest point.

"I challenge you, Halina," and I don't care that she's crying, I just stand my ground and watch her quickly wipe away her tears of self pity with her wrists.

"Wh -?"

"To a battle on ground," I slowly squat opposite her. While they were all swimming this week, I was practicing my other abilities, "Hand to hand, with the Clans watching. Whoever loses gets cast out into the Rough for the night. Whoever wins, receives the honour. Something respected around here. Skill. Strength. Smarts," I tap my temple and her face quickly turns stoney.

"You're the weakest link, Lily–"

"Am I?"

"You're insane, too. You're brittle, you have no back bone and your only specialty is being Eros' pale blood bag, occasionally," Halina smiles as she leans forward, her tears gone, "I'm tested and tried. I am naturally talented in the physical domain. I win every trial. You don't even participate. You train alone. Everyone knows I'm the most skilled athlete."

"...and you're crying because the sister bonds are breaking, Darya, your best friend, doesn't love you, she loves herself, like I love myself and you love yourself. Our Siren blood is a curse, Halina, and a damn great one at that... cause I'm going to win tonight. You'll be begging for my mercy and I'm going to relish every second of it. Do you accept my challenge, sister?"

Halina's eyes are wide with shock. It's the first time I've approached any of my sisters since returning but I've also never spoken like this before.

I do not blink. I stare Halina down until she just nods, agreeing to the challenge.

I stand from my squat and walk away, smiling.

How did Eros choose his Generals? Whoever killed the most.

All I had to do, to gain respect on this island, was show everyone my lethal strength and ability. One test at a time.

Fantasia was tip-toeing around, watching from the shade. I saw her. She smiled at me often. I had her confidence in me.

Sure, I was spit at on occasion and called names and sometimes I was smiled at with pity. Mixed reactions. But I knew what I had to do and I had to prove my worth one step at a time for the disrespect to stop.