[Part2] ⤀ 29] The Predator's Cage

[Part2] 29] The Predator's Cage

1 week later

"The Erebos could be killing everyone, but they're not, because the Mermaids are their food source hence they treat them with enough respect not to murder them for fun," I speak from the bedspread of the Royal Clan Castle. A small place, that was only designed for the residence of those important, nothing like a fortress. There was a view of the village and the activity was... peaceful, "I thought they hated me but it was only hate for myself, in my own head," I am speaking to myself – while Blade is listening.

Blade has been working out Eros for me.

He designed a tank without water – glass and many points for shackles to be lodged into the walls. Eros had no view of the Rough and therefore no threads to pull from, but he was right to our left, locked away in his enclosure, able to see us as we could also keep an eye on him.

"They were scared of you, my dear," Blade is reclining back on a chair, making it a habit to watch Eros in the glass chamber, "...but, they were waiting for someone to take charge, someone who would restore a balance with a firm standing toward peace."

"Blade, really, you have been taunting Eros for hours every day since you put him there last week," I speak calmly to Blade, because Eros has no way of hearing us. It's sound proofed – locking him away from our words.

I do not watch Eros myself – as he was pacing without halt and it was painful to view, if necessary.

"Oh, Lily, the chaotic prince of the Rough deserves a few good weeks of torture without the control he is so used to... nor the freedom of the sea, look at him, poor thing, poor eel," Blade leans further back in the chair, sipping from a coconut dripping blood from a few donors.

Yep – we got people to donate their blood to help the Erebos live without actively hunting. Just another law to keep things peaceful and sweet.

Eros on the other hand, hadn't been fed, like I promised, but it was mostly because I couldn't get near without fearing for my safety... or... more like fearing for my will. I was inclined to let him out, Queen or no Queen, Eros was good at swaying me and I had acknowledged that my weakness toward him, was my unconditional love for him.

I cringe at the thought of it.

Yup.

I loved Eros.

But that didn't mean it wasn't complete torture.

"Well, tonight, each Overseer will come together and we'll hold hands – and perform a Prophecy Ritual. Darya's idea," I murmur, "She says it will help with the tension of any remaining elders. The council has grown accustomed to us stepping into our roles... but they are all weary of the King."

"I am a snake, I'll admit," Blade starts to chuckle, still eyeing Eros with far too much enjoyment.

"...the real King..." I whisper.

Blade kicks up an ankle over the other, while he watches my mate stop stalking his glass enclosure, now death staring Blade – not even I am the target of Eros' wrath, not while Blade is constantly taunting him.

"...you can't handle Eros," Blade concludes my insult with the appropriate response, side eyeing me on the bed, "You let him out, set him free, you'll lose all your progress. You don't know how to deal with his moods yet. I have known him at least a decade longer than you. He'd back a bloody gutting of a Merka as the usual weekend ritual – just to bathe in blood for the fun of it. He often talked about swimming in pools of blood... a common dream of his... upon many more gruesome things. You're a dandelion in the breeze, Lily, and you love him dearly – but you can't stop him from being creative with his nature, he is far too intelligent for you, indeed, for many. Here I am, therefore, as Ero's minder. That is all I am..." Blade chuckles to himself, often speaking about minding Eros, keeping Eros, controlling Eros.