[Part2] ⤀ 4] The Dastardly Lord of Angleton

[Part2] ⤀ 4] The Dastardly Lords of Angleton

1 week later

Lily's POV

A week ago, my elbow had accidentally 'knocked' the candle that left Eros' precious exotic wardrobe black, broken and axed into firewood the next day. I have to admit, Eros' initial response directly after the fire was put out, confused me more than my own desire to confusehim.

Because that night, Eros slipped a silver necklace encrusted with rainbow opals under my shut door. It was clearly stolen loot from his travels but... my plan was to be sweet to him, so sweet he didn't see my secret plan to foil his reputation across Angleton.

But Eros... Eros being sweet to me... that made me nervous. Not only was Eros sweet. He was calm. He was collected. He was out in the morning on business, paying relevant taxes with stolen goods, enchanting the Isle-folk into loving his piercing ocean blue gaze and his charming closed lip smile, to help hide his fangs.

Of course, I could not and did not want to leave the estate, despite Eros' little suggestions that I was more than welcome to tag along.

Good morning Lily.

How are you today, Lily?

One liner statements, so polite, thrown at me while Eros walked by my rooms and pretended to be patient.

Yes. Patient. Sweet. Calm. Smooth.

My reaction? Silence once more. In front of everyone it was muteness. And I made sure Eros couldn't corner me alone. I locked my door at night and during the day I stayed by Catherine or helped the poor slaves who were forced to run the estate. They were either willing slaves from other pirate ships that Lord Edwin had conquered at sea, or they were folk with no work, no home and sometimes from the same Asylum I apparently came from.

Yep. Eros had a fascination with the crazy mortals; he probably understood them better.

I sit now on the front porch at mid day, fanning my face on a lounge chair with a paper fan Eros had looted, and I sit with Catherine as she speaks in her one-way style.

"Oh, yes! Here comes the lanterns and bouquets and streamers... did you know we're having the best cakes in town, including freshly roasted pig, turkey, salmon... oh, don't get me started on Mr. Abrams Angleton salmon catches, Lilith, you must try some. Lord Edwin really does want to strike up quite the ball to find a wife."

Um. I pause fanning my face.

What did Catherine just say? A wife?

Don't react.

I lift my wide brimmed hat, also free loot from Eros, to see a trailer full of party supplies, driven by donkeys, being led up the cobble drive. There is a live pig on the back. I guess it was soon to see slaughter. There is also a fancy carriage pulling up behind it.

I close my eyes and lean back, fanning my face more furiously.

Of course Lord Edwin was preparing a party... to find a wife.

"I'm even invited," Catherine explains, "Oh... I'm going to try my luck, Lilith. Unless you mind... well..." when I don't stop fanning my face, she assumes I do not care, "I have a new dress for the occasion. Blue pastel lace. I stitched it myself. You don't mind if you dress yourself tonight, do you, Lilith? I do want to try and impress. This is my dream man we're speaking about."