6,2) SHUDDERING PANIC

[Thanks for all your continued support.... I'm so excited to finally post this chapter I'd written it a month ago and edited it all this time.]

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Tenten:

That voice sent uncontrollable panic shuddering within my bones, causing me to freeze. It was far too late to consider bolting now. It was far too late to think up an excuse to convince Neji to leave before the owner of that voice confronted us.

"I will not give up Tenshi-san, I must for fill my promise whatever it takes!" the voice screamed again now mere metres away.

It was undeniable who that voice filled with such indefatigable hope belonged to…

His voice is a spark and all the bittersweet memories are kindling. Vivid images are set aflame as memories of long forgotten days are stirred up like mud on the riverbed, clouding my judgment, transfixing me in this moment.

The undergrowth before us shook as a green-clad figure flew onto the path, before us.

My suspicions were verified then it was indeed Lee who stood before us.

The shock wore off then and determination and ephemeral hope filled its place as I did all I could to avoid being spotted.

I drew my horse a few centimetres to the right until I stood directly behind Prince Neji's tall figure. I looked down and turned my head slightly backwards, shrouding my face in shadow.

"What luck to find fellow travellers this far out. It seems ––" Lee said in between pants wiping tears from his sun-browned cheeks.
Neji cut him off, "Listen here, I don’t have time for any pleasantries. I have business to attend to."

"What business might I ask, my fellow traveller? I too, am on a mission. Perhaps we might be able to help one another…" he asked with earnestness.

His voice still filled with a light-hearted tone that made him seem childish despite him being the same age as Neji and I.

Those jovial and naïve undertones completely out of its league when counteracted by the guttural seriousness of Neji's voice. 

Neji paused, as if debating the merits of Lee's offer, before dismounting his horse and standing square in front of Lee.  The prince was only about three centimetres taller than Lee, but his demeanour and confident posture seemed to distort the gap between them tenfold.

I gulped, somewhat frightened for Lee and his blatant lack of respect for the Prince. The idiot probably hadn't even realised who he was speaking to. While Neji wasn’t one to enforce rank strictly one-on-one.  He had an image to maintain to the public and the army. Neji wouldn’t stand for such behaviour, would he?

"If you must know I'm looking for someone––someone important to me," Neji answered, his tone curt yet verging on impolite.

"M-me too!" Lee sputtered out. "The spirits of youth have brought us together to help us, Brother!"
I cringed and Neji shivered.

"Well if you understand, then let me be off on my journey then. This isn't someone I can entrust others with," Neji said.