9

Lexi's POV:

It's gotten late and dark and I'm shipping Katie out for the night. She's got her arm draped over my shoulder as we walk out of my house and towards the road where her ride is waiting.

"I hope you had a decent birthday, Lex. I know it's not your favorite day of the year." She says.

I nod, not wanting to dive into the details of the day. "Thanks, Katie. I really appreciate you finding these rings and getting them back to me. Best gift ever." I say, toying with the chain around my neck.

She smiles and pulls her arm off of me, "you're welcome. I'll see you tomorrow at school. Love you!" She smiles, slumping into the passenger seat of her dad's car.

I toss my hand up and watch the car speed off, Katie waving out the window.

As I walk back up through the yard, I see Evan sitting on the steps out front talking on the phone.

Her hair is ruffled and distraught, and she looks beat.

I watch from a distance and decide to go over to check on her. I walk up the sidewalk as she ends the call and she glances up, quickly pulling herself together.

"Hey, Lex." She forces a smile.

I let out a light sigh, "am in interrupting?" I ask her.

"No, it's fine." She shakes her head, "how was dinner?"

"Same as every year." I sigh, finding a seat on the step beside her.  "How was your evening?"

"Fine. Kids and Scott are all asleep already." She sighs, pushing a small rock around with her toe.

I grin at a small tattoo on the outside of her ankle, "inked, huh?"

Her brows furrow, "huh?"

"Your tattoo." I motion towards her ankle and she giggles.

"It's called seventeen and stupid." Evan smirks. "That's new." She says, letting her fingertips grab the chain that hangs around my neck.

"Katie gave it back to me." I say, grasping all the rings that dangle on the chain in my palm.

"Gave it back?" Evan questions, shifting her weight and becoming more relaxed.

"They're rings. They belonged to my dad, uncle, and grandpa. I lost them a while ago at the beach when I was shitfa-" I stop, realizing my admission.

Evan shakes her head, "if I was gonna tell on you, I would've done it by now."

"I was a little intoxicated and I snapped my necklace and lost the rings on the beach. Katie found them somehow." I say and Evan's fingers grab the rings and look at them intently.

"Your dad, huh?" She asks, voice soft.

"Yep." I sigh, knowing she'll probably pry and push.

I see her bite the inside of her cheek and the rings hit my chest, but Evan's hand stays close.

I smile a tiny bit and she looks down at me, grinning back softly.

"I'm sorry." I mutter and lean up, pressing my lips against hers.

I rest my hand on her knee and capture her full lips between mine, cherishing every second that she allows.

I feel her lip twitch between mine and her body relaxes, her hand falling onto my neck and holding it softly.

I kiss her just a few times, tender and simple, before she tucks her head back in and lets her hand fall off of my skin.

"That... was uncalled for." Evan whispers, looking down and away from me. She crosses her legs, pulling her knee from beneath my hand.