17

Evan's POV:

"Hello?" A shaky, stuffy voice answers my call.

"Hey, Lex." I mutter through my tears and wipe my face again

I hear her take a staggered breath and I grow worried, "you sound like you've been crying. Are you okay?" I ask her.

"I'm fine." She lies.

"Lexi, I know you better." I remind her, pushing all of my problems to the side and focusing on her.

"I'm just overwhelmed. Being here is bringing back memories from other things." She explains, clearly in no rush to give me details.

"About?"

"My dad." She answers short and doesn't offer any other information. "Why'd you call? Not that I mind, but why?" She mutters.

Of course I can't tell her I'm falling apart now. She's got her own issues, I can't dump mine on her too. "I just...something told me to call and check on you." I lie.

"That's nice." She says, letting me hear a faint smile in her voice. "It's good to hear from you anyway."

I bite my thumb and stare up at the ceiling of my bedroom, "yeah. How are the mountains?"

"Honestly, this place is a joke. It's not what I expected." She laughs. "It's just a couple of days though, so I'll live."

"I'm glad to hear that." I smile to myself, closing my eyes and letting her voice surround me.

"I'm sure you'd be so bored without me around... harassing you nonstop." Lexi teases.

"I'd hardly call it harassing, Lex."

"Oh, so you like the attention I give you?!" She jokes, making my smile.

I bite my lip, "you know I do."

Silence falls on the line and I take a breath.

"Are you-"

"What were-"

We both giggle after speaking at the same time, but she lets me have the floor.

"What were you gonna say earlier today?" I ask, wanting to get my mind off of Scott.

"Something I'd rather not discuss over the phone." She sighs. "Are you sure you're alright, Ev?"

"No, but I will be." I admit, hesitantly. "I won't keep you, just enjoy your trip and I'll see you when you get back."

"Okay... call if you need." She reminds me.

I end the call and let out a sigh.

Once she left the kids and I finished our walk and came back to the house. Scott was packing up a bag for the weekend and another argument broke out, but it escalated this time.

Things were thrown, accusations were made. This is the most concerned I've ever been about the state of my marriage.

* * *

It'd be a lie if I said I hadn't been counting down the hours until Lexi arrives home.

With Scott gone, the kids and I have been spending a lot of time together and there are just some things that can't be discussed with children, hence my urge to see Lexi.

Finally, after waiting all weekend I see the car pull into the driveway next door and Lexi steps out, looking exhausted and, quite frankly, done.

Rather than jumping up and begging her to come over like an eager, lust-stricken teen, I let her go into her home and handle her responsibilities first.