Chapter 7: Trying to Make Things Right

Connor Point of view
My father and I rented another room together, since it had taken us nearly the whole day to travel here. He went out to do some digging, and I must admit I am pleased that he volunteered to help. He even insisted I stay here, saying that he worried I would be exhausting myself. Which I'll admit after being tormented with nightmares, then fighting that family of bears today he is not wrong.

I actually find myself sleeping, even though I must admit it is very light. When father returns, even though he is quiet I still awake to the sound of the door and his gentle footsteps. I sit up and rub my eyes, then stretch a bit I don't look at him not yet.
Haytham: som I see you took my advice, and rested. The day is still young though, and I have something for you.
He says sitting down at the small table, in the centre of the room. I look at him with tired eyes hmm what is he up to? I thought.
Connor: what is it?
I ask
Haytham: come look
I sigh and get up, I was wondering what trick he had up his sleeve. I approach him then stop when I see what's on the table, I look at him knowing that shock is clear on my face.
Connor: what is this?
I ask as though it's not obvious, a small cake sits in a white plate on the round table. It is iced with blue icing,and in green says happy 20th.
Haytham: it looks like a cake to me son.
I roll my eyes
Connor: I know what it is, father what is it for?
Haytham: I think you know that answer as well, and I know you can read.
Connor: alright wise man, what I mean is why did you get it?

Haytham: because this is your first birthday I've spent with you, and I couldn't just do nothing for it. For you it means something to me, even if it doesn't to you.
I can't fight the smile on my face, and mumble under my breath
Connor: nothing.. just that I hope it isn't the last?
He smiles as well
Haytham : I'm glad you feel that way
Connor: still you should not have done this, In fact I asked you not to.
He sighed at this
Haytham:well it appears I listen to you as well, as you do to me.
I just chuckle
Connor: touché well since you went to the trouble of getting a cake for me, are we going to eat it?
My father laughs again
Haytham: after you my boy

I sit down next to my father, then pick up the knife that sits next to the cake. I begin cutting it, smiling as his hand rests on my shoulder fondly. It's easy to like him sometimes, I decide In a different world where Assassins and Templar's don't exist... he would have made a good father.
Haytham: I did some digging as promised, though.
My father says as we each eat my birthday cake, briefly the thought of him poisoning this crosses my mind but only after I've taken a bite. But he is eating it too, I think and decide to try and have some trust in him for once.
Connor: and?

I ask before taking another bite, the cake turned out to be chocolate. Which pleases me, I love chocolate.
Haytham: I've arranged to meet one of my contacts tomorrow about it, he keeps up with the goings on quite well especially in the criminal world.
Connor: do you think he'll have the information?
I asked curiously
Haytham: I'm not completely sure, but he is our best bet. A couple people I talked to tonight recommended I speak to him, so I see them to arrange the meeting.
Connor: I suppose you expect me to sit around here waiting for your return, right?
Haytham: nonsense, you can come along
I raise my eyebrow at this
Connor: I can? Even though I'm the known enemy? I thought our partnership is a secret.
Haytham: it is I don't mind revealing it to this person, though. I am going to need to go ahead and warm them, though just so things stay in control.
Connor: I see that sounds fine, when do we go then?
Haytham: first thing in the morning, probably close to sun up.
Connor: fine
I said as I finished my cake and, put the plate on the table.

Haytham: how was it?
Connor: the cake? It was quite good.
Haytham: I was concerned, I don't know if you like chocolate or not.
Connor: I.. actually love chocolate.
I said honestly
Haytham: do you? interesting.
Connor: why is that interesting?
I asked curiously as I was slightly confused.
Haytham: I also love chocolate, I used to ask my father to take me to this chocolate place back home all the time.
He smiled to himself
Connor: that sounds nice, I wasn't introduced to it until Achilles brought me to town one day. It was the most delightful smell, and he treated me to some. Ever since then, he had to be careful about having it around the house.. in my teenage years I devoured it.
Haytham: it's good to know,we have that in common then.
He chuckled
Connor: I suppose
Haytham: well son, I'm going to turn in you should too.
Connor: alright father goodnight
Haytham: goodnight
He and I went to our beds
Connor: father
I said after he lays down
Haytham:hm?
Connor: thank you
Haytham: your welcome son.