Chapter 12: The Last Stand

Haytham Point of view
I hear cannons hitting the fort and I sigh, Connor is here. I'm surprised he didn't choose a subtler approach, after all bringing a whole fleet here to destroy the fort is not the way an Assassin should be going after a target. The boy is a madman, that's what I'm getting from it.

I step out of my quarters in hopes of finding Charles, I'm not sure who Connor is here for. But I honestly don't think it's me, I pause and grab my journal as tucked it into my coat. I plan to send Charles away and handle Connor myself, surely I can Calm him down he can't possibly still be mad at me. But if for some reason he is, which honestly isn't impossible... one of us may not walk away alive. If it is me who dies, I want to have my journal on me... hopefully Connor finds it.

I shake my head, I know I outmatch him so why am I preparing to die?
Charles: Master Kenway, there you are.
Charles says
Haytham: Charles thank god, you need to get out of here.
I say
Charles: are you mad? I'm not leaving! We both know who it is on our doorstep.
Haytham: which is why I want you gone, I may be able to talk some sense into him.
I reasoned with him
Charles: you're still on this? He said he would kill you if he saw you again!
Haytham: there's no danger surely he isn't still mad at me. But I know I have a much greater chance of surviving this than you. I'm sure you're the one, he's here for anyway.
Charles: are you really going to bet your life on his sentiment? Who to say he'll hold back?
Haytham: he will he must know, after all we've been through that I am not evil.

Charles: yet here he is!
Haytham: look that's not the point, if anyone is to die today. I would rather it to be me than you, but I will be perfectly fine.
Charles: are you sure?
He asked as he was shocked at the same, time.
Haytham: yes now will you go, before he shows up? I'll find him and stall, so you can make your escape.
Charles:yes sir I will
He leaves quickly and does not look back strange not even a goodbye I take a deep breath I wish I was as confident as I talk.
I head in the direction of the chaos, knowing Connor is using the attack as cover and will therefore be in the heart of it. As I suspect I find him easily enough, he has his back to me and is breathing heavily. He looks awful what was he thinking, deciding to attack this way? I thought. He calls for Charles and I figure there's no better time than now to reveal myself, despite the increasing anxiety I feel.

Connor Point of view
I should have listened to Achilles, I hate when I have to admit that. But there's no denying this is not going the way I planned. I'm badly injured and haven't even found Charles yet, I'm stumble further into the fort ignoring the pain in my side from being hit. Achilles called me a fool, for taking this approach and now I agree.

Connor: where are you Charles?
I call ignoring the scratchiness of my voice, my anger, frustration, exhaustion and pain all are contributing to the dizziness I feel from the cannon shot.
Haytham: gone
My Father says from behind, I refrain a groan as I turn to face him quickly, another unexpected turn.
My father runs up to me and before I can even react, punches me in the face stunning me. He then knees me in the stomach, causing me me to double over. Before I can even recover, he then digs his elbow into the back of my neck knocking me down to my hands and knees.

I go for a cheap shot between his legs, and when my father grunts and stumbles back I get back up to my feet. After exchanging a few punches, I grab my fathers arm and twist it behind his back. He grunts in pain, and before speaking.
Haytham: come now Connor, you cannot hope to match me. As skilled as you are, you're still but yet a boy... with some much left to learn.
He says breathlessly, I shove him away and pull out my tomahawk I whack my father arm destroying his hidden blade. He shouts in pain, I'll admit I wasn't careful about not drawing blood.
Connor: GIVE ME LEE!
I shout
Haytham: impossible he is the promise of a better future, the sheep... needs a Shepard.
My father warps his wrist, and I allowed him to.
Connor: he has been dismissed and censured, he can do nothing for you now.
Haytham: a temporary setback, he will be restored