Chapter 9: Dealing with Templars

Connor Point of view
I ride into Boston, in need of some more supplies. Achilles sent me with a list of things for him as well, and I sigh looking at it. I'll always be an errand boy to him, I enter the general store and I am surprised pleasantly so at who I see.
Lance: Connor!
It was Lance who I rescued from the mercenaries, many years ago and I offered him to stay in the homestead.
Connor: hello Lance
I reply with a wide smile, I purchase what I need before he speaks again.
Lance: how are things?
Connor: just fine Lance, I can see that you come back to Boston.. but how are you?
I asked as I placed my weapons into my robes.
Lance: it's been crazy lately, this war has made us have more customers than ever. But it made it harder to get the supplies, we need to sell.
Connor: sounds tough.

Lance: well it was nice seeing you here, I'll see you back at the Homestead.
Connor: you as well
Lance: bye Connor
Connor: take care MR Lance.
I turn to go, but then he catches my arm I turn and face him.
Lance: can I ask a favour lad?
Connor: what is it?
I asked as he rubbed his head.
Lance: some thugs robbed my old store, this morning.
Connor: and you want me to catch them for you?
Lance: if it's not too much to ask?
I soon stopped him
Connor: not at all, should I return it here, once I have retrieved it?
Lance: yes if you like, you can come back and take a look you may find a place to start.

I went to Lance supplies shop, looking in the back room gave me clues for sure. I just now finished eavesdropping on a final discussion, confirming my beliefs. The thieves had made their way to South Boston, where their base is. And if I'm not mistaken, they're also Templar associations how convenient I thought.

I mount my horse and ride in the direction, the thieves have gone. It is currently an hour or so after sunset, so at this rate I should have Lance supplies returned by sunrise. After a short ride I make it to an old abandoned warehouse, on a large piece of land. Briefly I think about my father and the last mission we were on together, that had bought us somewhere similar four months ago. I do not miss him... not too much.

Shaking him from my mind, I blink on my eagle vision. I look around the area, and it matches the description I got from the conversations I overhead. If my sources are correct, I should find the things in the warehouse ahead. I see several people glow my read in my sight, and I'm convinced this is the place.

I dismount my horse, and approach with caution. The area is evidently restricted, so I'll have to sneak inside. Not that'll be hard, after killing a few guards as few as possible. I reach the warehouse conveniently it's unlocked, which is suspicious but I enter anyway... as I met with five muskets pointed in my face.
Guard: what have we here?
One of the guards asked
Connor: never seen a Native before?
I ask sarcastically
Guard: what's your name savage?
???: it's Connor
Someone else says and I tense, I look even though I don't have to recognise that British voice to be my fathers.
Haytham: and I believe we've discussed your choice of words, have we not?
He adds almost angrily, did he just stand up for me? I thought.
Guard: sorry sir
Connor: father what are you doing here?
I ask curiously
Haytham: I may ask you the same question, though it would be equally pointless. Truly you can't be surprised to see me here, or did you kill my men because you thought this was a tea party?
I frown keeping eye contact as he walks closer, he hasn't mocked me like that in a while.

Connor: I came here in search of stolen supplies actually. I only learned these scum, worked with the Templar's in my investigation. Anyone who has died by my hands tonight, has only because they were in the way of me retrieving what does not belong here.
I reasoned with him
Haytham: oh? And who told you there was stolen goods here?
He smirked
Connor: a trusted associate, who happens to be the rightful owner of this stuff. Although as much stuff as there is here, more people were robbed than I thought.
I scan the room, more for show than anything. Since I already have looked around.
Haytham: and why, pray tell should I believe your story? After all, these gentlemen and I have been doing business for years longer than you've been alive. And they know how I feel, about involving innocents in our affairs.
I sighed and shook my head
Connor: father come now, would I lie to you?
He chuckled
Haytham: well Connor, truth is I wouldn't know.
Connor: one way or another, I will return what was stolen. I made a promise, I intend to keep.
My father sighs a bit, dramatically in my opinion.

Haytham: it would appear my work is never done, gentlemen I will return. Keep him here, if you can do so without him killing you.
He turns and beings to walk the other way.
Guard: sir... where are you going?
Haytham: to see want truth there is to his words, best of luck boys.
With that he leaves.
Guard: he did not just-
The first Guard stammers
Guard 2: he did we're here alone, with the Assassin
Says the second guard
Guard 3: should we shoot him?
Guard: the boss said-
Guard 2: so? He also wished us luck, and said the monster might kill us!
Guard 2: we have five guns, if he tries anything he won't stand a chance!
Guard 3: you've not seen what these Assassins, can do!
He panicked
Guard 4: No kidding! Back in my day-
Guard four begins
Guard 5: Hush! This won't help!
Guard five the last one, says.

Guard 1: so what do we do?
Guard 2: I vote we shoot him
He says nervously, I smirked at this.
Guard 3: I agree
As he tightened the musket
Guard 5: I mean honestly, what choice do we have?
Says the fifth guard
Guard 4: he ain't done anything yet!
He points out
Guard 2: still... I say we put him down, help the Templar's and ourselves.
Connor: I wouldn't recommend it.
I spoke up
Guard 1: you hear the lads? The savage dog wouldn't recommend it! Just who do you think you are, boy?
Now he has pushed my buttons
Connor: I am death, you are right to fear me.

Guard 1: that's it lets-
He is soon cut off by a smoke bomb, as they all started to cough. I climb into the rafters, out of sight killing them is pointless. They fire into the smoke where I has stood,  up when the smoke clears they see I've vanished.
Guard 2: I don't like this!
He started to shake
Guard 4: shut up!
Guard 3: he'll kill us, one by one!
Guard 5: not me, I'm out!
Says the fifth guard, and he takes off out the door the others just behind him.
I land on the ground after they retreat, cowards all of them. I walk over to the supplies to see an endless amount of them, most likely stolen to sell to the Templar's.

Haytham: where are our friends?
My father asks, and I don't even bother looking at him. I cross my arms and sigh.
Connor: I even tried being cooperative, and still they decided to kill me. So I, scared them all away.
I answer finally, looking at him over my shoulder.
Haytham: why spare them?
Connor: they're only mercenaries, following orders. My real problem would be taking, out whoever is in charge here.
Haytham: expect I took the liberty of doing that for you, I should have believed you. But I didn't want to, now we have to figure out where all this came from.. and I'm out a business partner.
Connor: tough luck
My father comes and stands next to me, then puts his hand on my shoulder. I've learned he appreciates subtle physical contact like this, and it is his way of showing affection and so I don't deny it.

Haytham: you know something, Connor?
Connor: I know plenty of things
He chuckles and shakes his head.
Haytham: you've become quite the smartass, what I was going to say speaking of partners. That if things had been different you and I... would have made good ones... out of the shadows.
I huffed at this
Connor: well I don't know about you, but I'm taught to work in the dark to serve the light
My father rolls his eyes
Haytham: you are ridiculous, you know exactly what I mean.
Connor: have you spoken about me to Charles, since that day we met?
Haytham: no, I've been avoiding him.
I tilt my head in amused curiosity.
Connor: why?

Haytham: I don't really wish to listen, to a speech about how I'm betraying the order. And all it Stands for just by keeping you alive, and how I'll have to murder you eventually.
Connor: oh so you are ashamed, of working with me?
I asked
Haytham: lord of course not, would I have revealed our partnership if I was?
Connor: honestly, I don't know you're quite the enigma.
Haytham: I don't try to be
Connor: well you are, but enough chat are you going to help me figure out who all of this stuff belongs to?
He pats my shoulder, before finally removing his hand.
Haytham: of course son.

After about an hour us returning the stolen goods, I make my way to the last stop. I insisted to do this last one myself, and therefore bid my father goodbye. Parting with him has gotten harder though, for some reason I do not love him. However, I may be getting a bit attached, but I do not feel love.
Lance: Connor thank you so much! I owe you big time!
Said Lance as I bring his stolen items back.
Connor:do not mention it, let me help you load in the wagon for you.
I said
Lance: how can I repay you?
Connor: there's no need
I reply, leaning against the wagon.
Lance: oh come now, I can offer you a ride back at the Homestead.
He insisted
Connor: alright Mr Lance
I hop in the wagon with him, a smile lingering on my face. It's feels so good to relax and be around a normal person, doing something as normal as talking to someone while eating breakfast. And not about Assassination plots or conspiracies, normal people stuff I enjoy it... maybe even I can get used to relaxing and socialising.