Let me bleed (Part 14)

The time was somewhere around 8AM -
around about the time where most people would just be arriving at work.
It was also a sunny morning; one of those mornings where you could easily tell it was going to be a warm and pleasant day.
Beams of the early orange glow shone through the brittle windows of the police station with ease, leaving patterns of light scattered across the floor.

Demi sat patiently in the small office located at the back of the building, while waiting for the Sheriff, her body still.
She thought for a second, wondering if she was remembering correctly - yes - his name was Michael. The sheriff had introduced himself briefly when they had first met just hours earlier but that all seemed to be be a bit of a blur for Demi.

There was a large glass pane separating the small enclosed room from the rest of the station. This made her feel protected in a way, yet somewhat excluded.

Her eyes never left their initial position - she was staring at the brick wall in front of her.
Officers rushed past outside the office, frantically working to get their jobs done. There was so much going on around her, but all Demi could hear was silence.

The Sheriff entered the office, Demi forced herself to shit her eyes from the wall. He held two cups of black coffee. Passing one to Demi as he walked to the other side of the desk, he smiled softly at her. Demi found it somewhat unfamiliar, she just stared back at his face with confusion.

"So" the sheriff began, sympathy swelling in his eyes.
"I understand that you've been through a lot, Demi. We'd like to make sure that this is sorted out, would you mind answering some questions for us?" He asked as he placed his rugged hands on the desk in front of him.

Demi leant back in the chair, her thoughts seemed stagnant. She couldn't seem to see past the fog in her mind; yet she knew she did not wish to talk.

Demi stared blankly back at him.
The sheriff seemed to recognise her discomfort.

"Right then..." the officer added, nervously.
"We'd better get started."
"Do you remember what happened, the night of your abduction?" He asked, carefully wording his question.
She gulped, looking down at her small hands, bruised as they were, they reminded her of her presence, her worth.
She sighed lightly.
"I do." - Demi spoke for the first time
The officer lent forward, his lips melted together for a second.
"I remember everything."

Demi's POV
With discontent, I told the officer what had happened. I gave him every single detail that my deprived brain could enable itself to remember. I wished to god that I didn't have to tell the horror of what happened, I shivered as the words left my mouth, but I knew that it was the right thing.

It was around noon before the officer had finally began to seem satisfied with the amount of information I had recalled for him. I watched, staring outside the window as the sun had slowly drifted away, hiding itself behind the many buildings around us.

He stood up, holding two thick files full with evidence and pain.  His aged and worn hands gripped them tightly.
He then placed a small plastic bag on the desk, sliding it over to me. My eyes widened slightly as I realised it contained my phone.
"We found this at the scene" he said
"It will have to be taken into evidence unfortunately."
I nodded in agreement.

"I'll see if I can get one one of the other officers to drive you home." He proposed, obviously feeling bad.
I smiled faintly.
He continued to walk out of the room, looking as if he was in a slight rush.
"Thank you." I finally spoke.
He turned back around for a short moment, giving me a quick and sympathetic smile.

I was glad that was over. I could feel my words beginning to dry up.
Fuck.
What a mess.

Before long, a female officer was standing in the doorway behind me. She had long golden hair and looked around 30.
I have to admit, it was nice to see another woman. Her presence seemed to calm me in a way.
"Ready to go home?" She said, smiling softly.

We drove in silence, I didn't feeling like talking and I think she understood.
I studied the outside world from my window as we drove. Every building we passed just seemed to morph into one long line of indistinct shapes.
People filled the streets almost uncontrollably - the atmosphere as lively as ever.
Yet I felt dead inside.

The drive was soon over and we finally reached my destination. I thanked the officer, stepping out of the car cautiously, then making my way up the drive and ringing the doorbell.

Within seconds, the door was open, and there standing in front of me was Lux, her hair was slightly longer than I remember, now a shade of pastel pink.

"Demi?"