Sixteen

Several uneventful weeks passed normally and it was now end of March, Estelle though could not sleep that well. She had been having very strange dreams, vivid ones she could not remember even when she woke up. Also, even stranger she had a strong craving of pumpkin juice and she absolutely hated the stuff. She ignored these strange things, deciding they had to do with all the stress of her argument with Elio and her time with Severus.

Word that Estelle and Severus were friends were circling the whole of Hogwarts, whispers and pointing happened everywhere in the halls. Estelle didn't mind that much but Severus was not happy at all. Things began to escalate though over the weeks. 

Students gained courage and began to mock Severus whenever they could and even did the same too Estelle. Many gave so called advice to Estelle, warning her about him. There were pranks pulled on them, on one occasion a painting in Snape's office was jinxed to repeatedly shout "Professor Snape and Professor Beauregard sitting in the whomping willow---" which would not stop until it was finally thrown out of the classroom. It was getting out of hand, even for Estelle who didn't mind silly pranks. Severus was reluctant to even get close to Estelle anymore. They hardly ever kissed or held hands, rarely had tea anymore. He would say he was busy but Estelle knew better. 

During one evening, after a full day of lessons of whispers and more pranks he couldn't take it anymore. Estelle and him were trying to relax in his office, for the first time in awhile, for tea before diner when a student had came hesitantly to ask a question. They had spotted Estelle and immediately left, running out the door after asking the question. Probably to run and tell their friends. Estelle didn't mind but Severus slammed the door and stormed over to his seat in anger.

"Do they think I am completely blind? All the whispers and pointing as if I can't see." He fumed, slumping onto the couch while Estelle sat grading some papers. She vanished them back to her office and turned towards him, giving her full attention.

"They're just surprised that such a happy man has friends." Estelle joked, trying to liven up the mood. 

Severus gave her a sharp look and shook his head, "Hilarious." He paused, "I knew this would happen" he sighed frustratingly, his hands balled into fits. 

Estelle raised her eyebrows, "What would happen?" She was confused.

He stared at he with a hard look, "That I should have left the moment I recovered and left this life behind me. I knew that since I lived not everyone would kindly welcome me back with open arms. And now you're getting dragged into it? I should not have come back and gotten close to you." 

There was a silence and Estelle frowned. "But you came back. And everything's fine, people are only curious and being silly."

Severus stood up and shook his head, his hair falling and curtaining his face even more. "You don't understand, Estelle." 

"Then make me understand, Severus." Estelle whispered, also standing up. Severus stepped back and glared.

"You're too good for me. You're not meant for this kind of life, a life where people will always question why you are around me. I have done horrible and terrible things that haunt me everyday. I am shrouded in darkness while you are everything bright and warm." He spoke with a hard voice, not looking directly at her which for some odd reason made her incredibly mad.

"This isn't only about some silly kids whispers, is it?" Estelle whispered, knowing what he was saying was much more than that. He seemed to be thinking this for awhile now, her thinking back to all the signs. His gentle and hesitant touches the entire time they were together, his rigid and guarded body positions whenever they were seen together, the less frequent time together.