Chapter 2 - Huening Kai

Huening Kai heads up to the wooden door, crossing an ornate carpet and glass bulbs with succulents hanging across the antechamber. He wonders whether Taylor has arrived, but he's not so sure about that. After all, she'd know the door is unlocked for these few hours of the morning for all of their arrivals. At least, that's what he's hypothesized when arriving first—to an empty mansion so full of luxury and personality.

He answers the door, surprised to find another Korean American. "Hi, I'm Huening Kai," he attempts, after meeting an empty stare. "You can call me Kai if you like. I mean, I think we're going to spend a lot of time together. So really you can tell me if—"

The boy interrupts with a cough, then a shake of his head—as if dispelling a sad spell. "I'm Soobin. Are you the first to arrive?"

"Yes, that's right." Huening Kai, for the first time in months, allows a flutter of hope to build in his chest. "I'm so glad we have this opportunity. I think we've all been through tough times but in the end we can come out on top hopefully."

"You're right." He earns a tight smile from the other boy. "It's surprisingly cold out here, for the island. I think I should come inside."

A minute later, they're settled on a red, plush couch—overlooking the mountainside, Kaimuki, and onward to the shoreline. It's a beautiful day, and he wishes he could surf with his dad. And then come back to his mom and his—

"Oh gosh." Huening Kai buries his face in his hands, making sure to cover his eyes most importantly. No matter, the tears flow quick and steady, as they always do when he reflects on what he's lost. "I'm so sorry."

Soobin straightens his back, collecting himself to ask the question they're all dreading—but what they all came here to answer. "What's wrong? Like you said, we'll be here for a long time. We might as well open up to each other."

"Curly," is the only word he can get out. It comes out in a stutter, and with a whole new set of waterworks.

Soobin pauses, staring at his palms. "Your...."

"My cat." Huening Kai reflects on those emerald green eyes, which contrasted so beautifully against soft gray fur. "I loved him so much."

As he cries, Soobin does his best not to shed a few tears as well. In the end, they're facing opposite directions. The air is awkward yet warm yet strangely comforting.

They wait for a long time, anticipating the next arrival. 

A/N : What do you think so far? Ohh and I'm wondering, who is your bias? Tell me everything :p