Chapter 11 - Soobin

Panic soon follows, and Soobin is reminded of a pack of dogs all jumping about. The four of them, surrounding a limp Beomgyu, show their concern in various ways—whether it be pacing around the boy in a protective circle, or reaching out in gestures more tentative than anything. 

Taehyun seems the most shocked of all, eyes so wide he looks close to fainting on the spot.

Jay would know exactly what to do. He was always the sure, older brother, knowing what to say when Soobin was too timid to speak up. Now, he's all alone—and he'll have to be the one to make the hard choices.

So Soobin bends over and taps Beomgyu lightly—on the shoulder that didn't take the brunt of the fall. "Hey, Beomgyu. Are you okay?"

"What is okay?" the other boy mumbles, but his face is so close to the dirt, the sound comes out muffled.

"What did he say?" asks Yeonjun, who also leans down. Soon, all the boys have followed Soobin's lead. They surround the injured camper in a protective huddle.

Soobin shakes his head, not quite sure how to translate. "Can you explain more of how you feel?"

"Everything hurts," says Beomgyu. Judging by boys' concerned gazes, everyone gets the message. "This almost hurts more than when I got dumped."

"Don't think of that now," says Taehyun, in a tone like a parent's. "Just focus on breathing. And try not to faint."

Huening Kai hums in agreement. "We'll be careful from now on. I'll stand behind you, like a firm anchor—in case you fall next time."

Beomgyu rolls on his back, staring between the foliage with eyes veiled with a milky haze. "Okay. Let's keep going soon. There's no way we're going to fail our first task."

A minute later, they're on their way again. Beomgyu clutches his right elbow, clenching his teeth whenever they proceed over the steeper areas. The path morphs back and forth between jutting roots, steps, sharp inclines, and more clear paths. At many points, Soobin is there for Beomgyu, holding onto his elbow while they hike through the steeper areas.

At one point, they reach a level area with strawberry guava hanging around them. The clusters of fruit are attractive, their aroma filling the air with nature's dessert. Soobin grabs a fruit and bites into it, letting out a sigh at the wet sweetness. "This is much better than the canned juice," he says. "Don't you guys want to try?"

Soobin realizes with his suggestion, they're sharing their first meal together. The strawberry guava makes for a good conversation starter, as Huening Kai drones on about making homemade tarts and Yeonjun suggests they take a bag next time to stockpile them in the cabin. Taehyun and Soobin listen, nodding along to Yeonjun's claim that he could fit twenty of them in his mouth. Even Beomgyu looks better, raising his injured side to pick at a bunch above his head.

The snack powers them on to reach the end of the hike. On the way, they make out a few monarch butterflies, and they listen to the song of finches—they seem to encourage the boys with their constant chatter. At the same time, the clouds clear and the sky overhead is only one tone—a creamy shade of blue.

"Woah!" Beomgyu is bouncing on his heels as they reach the main lookout. "I think I can see my apartment from here, guys!"

Soobin smiles as he looks over the stretches of Palolo Valley and Manoa. In the distance, the sea is a deeper shade of blue, and the air is so clear that the buildings look clear-cut, like miniature figures of stone and marble. The wind blows and whips freshness into their lungs, and Soobin sighs at the sight of so much vegetation—a vision of green he wishes he could experience every day.

"We need a leader for the group," Yeonjun suggests, showing off a playful smirk. "I think, for the bravery and quick-thinking that Soobin showed today, he should be our leader. What do you guys think?"

"Totally agree," says Beomgyu, beaming. "I think you did an awesome job, Soobin. Especially in comforting me when I thought I would die."

They laugh together, and both Taehyun and Huening Kai voice their agreement. Just like that, Soobin turns from the shy one with not much to say... into the leader of the boys of Camp Heartbroken.

Soobin looks up, into the heavens—its entrance guarded by the sky. Are you proud of me? He gets no audible answer, but he swears he feels a tug in his chest—a pull in the space that Jay occupies. He hopes with all of his soul it means yes.

A/N: I'm so excited for TXT content these days it's crazy! Let's keep supporting them. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! 

 I hope you enjoyed this chapter!