Chapter 8 - Taehyun

Taehyun thinks that this one, Huening Kai, might just be a bit too much.

After spending about a few minutes making a rough sketch, Kai begins to add detail while giggling to himself. The image morphs from a parrot to a dodge ball to everything in between, and the other camp members tilt their head in confusion.

"Finished," says Kai, pointing to his piece of work with a grand gesture.

Taehyun studies the drawing, taking in the added layers and posts that appear crafted from winded rope. "It's a cat tree," he says.

Huening Kai eyes widen. "How did you know?"

A awkward weight settles on his shoulders while the four boys stare at him. "Well—"

"It was Curly's favorite," says Kai, his demeanor suddenly drooping along with his shoulders. "I had to throw it out last month, but I have regret because I think I should've kept it."

The air is filled with a sense of understanding, like mist they breathe and exhale together. All of them understand what it's like to lose something precious. Although losing a cat is very different from losing both parents, Taehyun shouldn't be one to judge. Perhaps Kai spent his whole life with the pet, and all he wanted was a few more years with someone that loved him unconditionally. He nods, letting his heart hurt for those in this room—of whom he has so much more to learn about.

Soobin jumps in. "We're all sorry that you lost him. Maybe we could write a song about him later. We could put it on our debut album."

The four on the couch nod in agreement, happy to find a solution. Taehyun adds his sentiment. "I think this activity will be hard for all of us. But it's great we could share with each other—of what we see to be important."

Soobin goes next, drawing the car where his brother, Jay, got into a fatal accident with him in the passenger's seat. The room is even heavier then, but they move forward before tears are shed.

Yeonjun draws a brain, explaining the rough details of his memory loss.

Beomgyu draws a necklace—a silver dove pendant to be exact, a bigger rendering of the one that hangs around his neck. "It's all I have left of her," he says, but then he forces a smile, which captures at least some brightness of hope. "But we're here now, at least. We're meant to be stars. How am I supposed to sing all the heartbreaking songs if I've never experienced it myself?" 

Good point. It's Taehyun's turn next. He gets up, feeling how the chalk has whittled down from the use of the others. It only takes him a few seconds to draw the outline of a surfboard, one of his dad's favorites—the Pyzel Bastard. But what would the boys know about that?

"Is that the Pyzel?" says Beomgyu—his eyes locking into Taehyun's.

Taehyun isn't sure what overtakes him, but he feels a connection forged between them in an instant—like a rope made from weaved steal is holding their wrists together. He's barely met Beomgyu for more than a half hour, but already he knows they'll be close. It's like knowing your next breath will come, or the sun will rise in an orange haze, or the crashing wave will be followed by another.

He isn't sure anything could replace his parents. But maybe a good friendship will come close to patching up the tears in his soul.

A/N: How are you all doing? TXT is doing their showcases in the US. I'm sad that I live in Hawaii and can't go to see them! Hopefully they will stop by the island soon.