Chapter 6 - Soobin

Taylor moves quickly, directing the boys inside and waving away the marching band and limousine. She's just as beautiful, if not more, than the magazine covers portray. Soobin alternates from gaping to moving side to side, suddenly aware of how messy he must look compared to her. His shyness always comes in waves, but right now it's just one torrent reminding him just how bizarre this situation is. Here they are, five strangers, facing the most popular superstar in the world. And she looks at them as if they're prized pieces of art, her eyes holding a glamour of mystery.

"Let's all head inside!" says Taylor, practically skipping to open the door. "I've rented this place for the summer... I'm anxious to see how it looks."

A few minutes later, they've all gathered in the living room couch. While they're settling in, Taylor comments on the smell of old wood, the rugs that might need changes and how they should invest in some pastel-toned paint. She speaks with eloquence and a lilt of excitement, just like how she acts on stage. But if this performance is for them, she must want them to feel comfortable.

Soobin closes his eyes, capturing one more image of Jay—his confident and dependable brother. As he opens his eyes, he imagines his life shifting from this moment on—as he starts this camp with four other hopeful artists.

"Well, thank you all for coming," Taylor says. "I'm Taylor, and I'll be your teacher for the next two months. I want you to...." She stops to give them all a moment of eye contact and a hint of a smile. "I want you to look at me like a friend, or an older sister. So I know a little bit about all of you, but could we all go around the room and introduce ourselves?"

Soobin starts, saying his name and how he grew up in Mililani. But that's pretty much all he shares, and he notices the boys follow suit, only revealing the bare minimum. Huening Kai is the only one who decides to mention a few of his favorite songs.

"Interesting," Taylor says. "Now, I'm sure you've noticed that you're all pretty similar, in terms of ethnicity. I kid you not, this was not planned. It was just that all of your applications stood out the most, and I took your words to heart. But what a coincidence, right! So... now that we can work with what we have, I'm thinking we should start the first Korean American boy band. What do you all think?"

Her suggestion is met with a slight chuckle from the boys, but there's something like a pall of sorrow weighing down their voices. Soobin recognizes it in himself, even.

"I understand," says Taylor, looking down at her hands. When she raises her chin again, her eyes are squinted as if in shared pain. "I've experience heartbreak many times myself. It takes time to heal, and sometimes you feel that your wounds won't even scar over. I've been there, trust me. If it's the last thing I do, I'll help you five heal. But in a positive way, one that will help you get where you want to be."

Soobin leans forward, grasping the excitement of the moment. "We're all so honored."

The pop star's face lights up, but she holds out a finger in mock warning. "Don't say that just yet. We're not even close to your debut."

A few of the boys gasp, and Soobin is one of them. Despite what they've all individually lost, perhaps these eight weeks will allow some sort of growth. Songs will be written, voices will be heard, a team will be formed.

"Let's all do one thing first," says Taylor. "I'm hoping you'll be close for the rest of your careers, but to start we have to know that everyone is on the same page. I want to make sure this is what you really want. There will be hard work, critique from the public eye, and conflict even among yourselves. Let's decide that there's no turning back—from this point on."

Soobin believes this moment is a starting point. In a rush of courage, the adrenaline hot in his veins like liquid steel, he reaches his hand out. It hovers above the living room's oval, glass table—lonely for a few tense seconds.

He hopes this decision will make Jay proud.

"Guys, let's do it. I'm all in." 

A/N: Hm, we're moving quickly forward! What do you think the first camp activity will be? As always, thank you for reading!