Chapter 15 - Beomgyu

Taylor receives the news of their band name with a secretive smile. She creeps back into her room with light feet—but not before whispering to meet her in the yard in an hour. "Dress in something nice, but still try to look like yourself!"

Beomgyu chooses a sweater he bought from the mainland, colored navy and red. The two tones are separated right down the middle, and Supreme is printed across in bold letters. While he sifts through his luggage for matching pants, he turns toward Taehyun. The younger boy is fully dressed and lying down. He stares at the ceiling without blinking, seeming deep in thought. Beomgyu could picture him as a philosopher ruminating on what it means to be human.

"What do you think she has planned for us?" asks Beomgyu.

Taehyun is quiet, much like he was this morning when Beomgyu felt like his chest was caving in and the world was spinning and spinning without taking him with it. "I think—"

But their thoughts are interrupted by a mewl. It seems to come from the wall itself, and just when Beomgyu thinks he's imagined it, the sound repeats and seems amplified. He wonders just how old this cabin is, and whether it's being haunted by the past cat who inhabited it.

A few seconds later, Huening Kai lets loose a raw cry, while Yeonjun repeats phrases along the lines of "Don't panic," although the frustration is tangible even from here.

Beomgyu follows Taehyun out into the hall, and they join Soobin, whose brows are knitted in concern. Soon, all five of them are in one room. Before anyone can ask questions, Kai crouches to the ground and lets out another frustrated groan. "I can't believe we didn't see the hole. Why do little kittens have to be so curious?"

Beomgyu bends down to study what Huening Kai is referring to—a tiny niche hidden underneath a bottom drawer. As if on cue, the kitten meows with increasing strain. "He must be panicking," Beomgyu says. "You found him outside and brought him in?"

Kai nods, lips pursed partly in guilt. Yeonjun tries in vain to lend a hand for the youngest boy to hold. "He was scared," says Kai, gazing out the window as if the island holds an answer to their dilemma. "I thought that the room was kitten proof, but it turns out that I didn't look hard enough."

"You shouldn't blame yourself," says Beomgyu. "Everyone wait here, I think I can get him out!"

He runs down to the kitchen, praying Taylor isn't there to prod about why he's stealing a piece of cheddar cheese from the fridge. Back in Kai's room, his four teammates look at him with eyes wide like saucers. He holds up the tiny snack, then says, "Food is the answer to everything. I've never seen a cat who can resist a good piece of cheese."

Minutes pass in excruciating length. But eventually, the meowing seems increasingly audible. A little ear peaks out from the ear, and while Soobin gasps, the whole head pops out. Its green eyes are bright, laser-focused onto his temptation.

Slowly, while Taehyun waves everyone down into a blanketed silence, the kitten crawls completely out to retrieve the reward for himself. Kai lets out a tiny screech and grabs the kitten, coddling it close to his chest. In the mean time, Yeonjun scrambles around the room to crumple up a sizable ball of paper, stuffing it into the hole like cloth into a leaking pipe.

"Wah." Beomgyu relieves his tension with a heavy sigh. "I've never been more relieved."

Kai shows his gratitude by wrapping him in a hug—like a koala attaching itself to the nearest branch. Beomgyu beams at his teammates' praise, making them laugh by holding the kitten in his arms and mock bowing.

Beomgyu is still a bit sweaty from the stress of kitten-rescue when heading out into the yard. He's stunned at what he sees. Massive, golden balloons are attached with silver strings, to spell out all the letters in "TOMORROW X TOGETHER." A camera is set up a few yards away, and a crew of three is fixing the balloons and arranging light reflectors at the proper angles. Taylor stands in the midst with a pastel pink dress, her hair styled in effortless waves.

"Come here boys!" she shouts, waving them over. "We're about to announce your name to the world!"

A/N: Thank you for supporting Camp Heartbroken! I'm grateful for over a hundred reads :). Fighting! 

 Fighting!