Chapter 5 - Beomgyu

Beomgyu holds his ground, clutching the pendant that dangles near his chest. The silver dove is the only gift he's kept from his girlfriend. The sterling silver is a reminder of heartbreak, how she stomped all over his emotions by admitting she has feelings for someone else. Of course, she's the reason he's here at Camp Heartbroken. At least he has that to thank her for.

Three boys file out from the house with widened eyes, but Beomgyu decides to differ from them. He keeps a straight face and steadies his jaw. His first love, Kaila, always made fun of him for being overly emotional—too much energy, like mood swings. I thought you liked that about me. I thought we were meant to be forever.

He used to be the class clown, giving his schoolmates energy and encouraging the shyer ones, but they noticed the difference over the past month.

"Beomgyu, you haven't been so talkative lately." This came from his math teacher, Mr. Hart.

"Why don't you act all silly anymore?" Jordie—one of his best friends.

"Hey, you'll find another one," said Keana—the head cheerleader of Moanalua High. "The first one always hurts the most, but you'll pull through. Trust me."

His thoughts are pushed to the backseat as the trumpets continue to blare. A limousine strolls by, parallel to the front gate. Taylor is nowhere to be seen, but a miniature marching band surrounds the vehicle with a perfect, synchronous gait and outfits matching in blue, red and gold.

"Woah." He can't help the word escaping from his mouth, even though his sense of wonder has diminished ever since Kaila broke his heart.

The song continues in notes of triumph. Slowly, they shift to the beginning chords of Taylor's Welcome to New York. Somehow, the five boys gather together, as if drawn into a collective by the cheerful melody.

"Where is she?" says one of them—the youngest by the looks of it—clearly enjoying the moment judging by his huge grin.

A second later, the limousine's backseat opens. Taylor is dressed in a sparkly gown with rose-gold sunglasses, and her hair is done in beach-y waves with pink dye staining the bottom. She smiles, showing off lipstick like the color of love, then removes the glasses. Even from so far away, her blue eyes are shining from the hope of new beginnings.

"Welcome to Camp Heartbroken!" she shouts.

Beomgyu can't help from smiling, from exchanging grins with the boys he'll spend the summer with. Despite the longing in his chest, the painful jabbing in his stomach, he allows hope to enter his spirit—for the first time in a long while. 

A/N: What do you think of the opening chapter for our mood maker? We've finished introducing all the boys and their heartbreaks, so let's all get ready for camp! What are some of your reader predictions?