Lie #16: Homeschoolers are at Church 24/7

Lie #16: All Homeschoolers are at at Church 24/7

So you’ve read this book thus far, and you find yourself face to face with a homeschooler. You talk to them for a while and find out that everything I’ve said is relatively true and that homeschoolers aren’t so bad. Now that you two are all buddy buddy, you want to hang out sometime. So you ask them when they’re free. Your conversation goes a bit like this:
You - “Hey, we should hang out sometime! What about next Sunday?”

The Homeschooler – “Oh, um.. actually, I can’t. I have church. I’d love to any other day though.”

You – “Oh okay, no worries. What about Monday night?”
The Homeschooler – “Ugh, I’m sorry, I’ve got worship band practice with my youth group.”

You – *sighs* “What about Wenesday?”

The Homeschooler – “Nope, that when my church has youth group, and then we always go out to eat afterwards. Maybe you could come?”

You - *shifts uncomfortably* “Nah, I think I’ll pass. So what days are you free then?”
The Homeschooler – “Hmmn… let me think…. Tuesday, nope. Thursday, nope. Friday, nope. Saturday… Oh, I’m pretty sure I’ve got nothing going on this Saturday.”

You – “YAY! Ok, I’ll text you so we can hang out that day.”

The Homeschooler – “Sounds great! I’ll see you then!”

- The next day -

New text message from (the homeschooler) – “Hey! I just remembered that my church is having their annual picnic on Saturday, so I can’t hang out. Maybe another time!”

*face palm*

So most homeschoolers are Christians, I’ll agree with you there. Not all homeschoolers, but the majority definitely are. My homeschool group is even called “Hearts for Jesus Christ” for crying out loud.

It’s because Christian parents don’t want their children corrupted by the ways of this world… blah blah blah, so they homeschool their kids. Even though I’ve definitely been pretty sheltered basically my entire life, I’ve witnessed my fair share of corrupted ways to know what’s out there.

But just to let you in on a homeschooler’s life and how protective their parents can be, here’s a true story:

My mom has never even give me the ‘talk,’ if you know what I mean. That class you take in middle school where they separate the boys and the girls and tell you about how babies are made… yeah, that one. Since I was homeschooled in middle school, I didn’t get to experience that amazingly awkward talk at school. One of my public schooled friends told me about it all when I was 11 though. Awkward, I know. But my mom doesn’t even know that, and she still has never talked to me about it.

She acts like I don’t know what s3x is. But seriously, how could I not know in the culture we live in today?

If only she knew about how I’m on Wattpad 24/7, I think she would freak to be honest.  Anyways, that concludes me being a raconteur. (It’s French, and it’s one of my vocab words so shush)

So we’ve settled it then, most homeschoolers are religious in some sort of way. Although it's usually Christian. But isn't nearly everyone religious in some way?

The lie is when people think homeschoolers are super religious. As in go to church, 7 days a week religious. As in all my friends hold the same beliefs as me religious. As in I’m Candor religious. (Which we’ve already established that homeschoolers are not Candor, so lie busted. B-bam!)

Homeschoolers don’t go to church every day of the week. I know some that go a lot, but never every day.

Sure, if someone plays an instrument for the youth group worship team, they have to go a lot to practice. But it’s only a few days a week.

Unless you attend a Christian school that is also a church, then you go there every day. Never mind, then you wouldn’t even be homeschooled.

Unless your home is somehow your church, which I’ve never heard of that before, so nevermind.

The most days I go to church is two per week! Maybe three if there’s a special event.

But yes, my name is Ashlyn Taylour and I am a proud Christian. I go to church on Sundays and Youth Group on Wednesdays, and sometimes we have a picnic or fun event on Saturday. No, I am not a freak. I am homeschooled. And I love Jesus and Wattpad more than anything else in this world.

I know this needs edited, but I wanted to get it up before Saturday, so I hope you liked it! If you did, give it a thumbs up… (why did I say that? Gosh I’ve been watched too many Youtube videos) Anyways, give it a vote, not a thumbs up, because it is nearly midnight, and I am about to pass out from exhaustion.

Let me know below… Are you a Christian? Or religious? Maybe put “The Homeschooler – “ or “The Public Schooler – “ in your comment so we can all know which you are.

<3 Ashlyn

- The Homeschooler