Lie #18: Homeschoolers are Mental or have "Problems"

I forget who gave me this idea. Agh, if it was you, let me know, so I can give you a proper dedication.

Lie #18: Homeschoolers are Mental or have “Problems”

So you know those people who have “problems,” right? Yes, you have to know who I’m talking about. Those people who act like a kid and may or may not have gotten dropped on their head as a child. Okay, no but seriously, I don’t know how to describe it really. But my old neighbor was like that… you know, mental. He would just act… let’s say… differently than most people his age would because of some malfunction in his brain. Basically, he was a retard. No. Now it sounds like I’m a meanie. I’m not, I swear. Let’s just say that these people are… special. Very VERY special.

I bet you didn’t know my birthday is on the 18th… May 18th to be exact. So 18 is a pretty special number if I do say so myself, that’s why this 18th chapter on special people. Okay all jokes aside, let’s get on to this chapter.

Apparently, people think I’m homeschooled because I’m special and I can’t go to a school with other people because of my specialness.

Obviously I’M not mental, I’m perfect normal, right?

Never mind, DON’T answer that.

Or they think that the public schools rejected me because I was WAY too special for them to handle.

Although, nobody has straight up asked me if I had “problems” and that’s why I’m homeschooled, I’ve heard stories of people who honestly, truly, deeply believe this lie that homeschoolers are mental and have “problems.”

Not specifically me, but just most homeschoolers in general.

They think we’re hiding from the world.

That our parents want to conceal the fact that their children are mental.

I’m going to be completely honest with this next statement, cross my heart.

I’ve honestly never ever met a homeschooler who is mental or special or who has “problems.” I’ve witnessed special people in the supermarket, they could’ve been homeschooled, probably not though. My special neighbor I mentioned earlier, went to public school and graduated last year. And we all have problems, so don’t play the blame game.

I think that there’s special schools somewhere for special people. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I heard that there is somewhere.

Personally, I think that is really awesome. But I would probably go mental if I worked or taught at one of these special schools.

I’ve reiterated this point over and over in this book, and I hope you’ve understood it by now. Us homeschoolers are just like other-schoolers. We’re normal. Well nobody’s normal per say. But we’re not really different and as foreign as many would like to assume.

I don’t mean to offend people who have mental issues. They’re great people, at least the ones I’ve met are. I wish they were more accepted and understood in today’s world, but some people just reject them, and it’s sad.

They’re human just like us homeschoolers, and other-schoolers are. We’re all human beings created by a God who loves each and every one of us immensely.

I’m going to end this with a quote by the one, the only….. ME!!!

Are you ready for this.

“It’s not the special people who have the problem, it’s the people who view them as having a problem who have the problem.”

Change your outlook, because if you think they have a problem, that’s your problem.

Okay I’m done.                                                     

I have a speech due Tuesday and I haven’t even started writing it yet. Please pray for me to get myself together and work on it. I’m not even joking, I need help.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you didn’t, well… that’s your problem, not mine.

Leave a rant/comment about one of your biggest problems right now, because I told you mine… the speech that I keep procrastinating on.

And vote because I have posted a new chapter 4 Fridays in a row, and I’m feeling pretty proud with myself right now.

<3 Ashlyn