Lie #23: Homeschoolers are So Poor they Can't even Afford Porridge

Lie #23: Homeschoolers are So Poor they Can’t even Afford Porridge

I’ve honestly never had anyone say to me that homeschoolers are poor. But I decided to talk about this lie anyways.

What is poor? Does anybody know? If your parents get minimum wage, working full time, are they poor? Some would say yes. I would beg to differ.

Because what about people in Africa, or other countries, barely scraping it by? With just enough food to survive. Those with not even a full meal each and every day. I’d say they’re poor.

And what about someone who is homeless? There isn’t even the possibility that they could be homeschooled, because they don’t even have a home in the first place! I would definitely say they’re poor.

Most of the people reading this, live in America, the land of the free. And the truth of the matter is that, nearly all Americans are rich. It probably doesn’t seem like it to us, but compared with what some people have, we are filthy rich.

Most homeschooling families have only one parent the works full time, while the other, usually the mother, stays home all day to teach her children. Sometimes she’ll work part-time, to earn some extra cash, but never full time.

So they’ve basically only got one source of income. In addition, they’re required to pay tax money to the schools that they’re children aren’t even attending. And then, they have to go and buy – with their own hard earned cash might I add – textbooks, and teaching curriculums to educate their children.

And trust me, it can get expensive, especially if they have six kids, like my family does. Lab kits for sciences like Biology and Chemistry are more expensive than you may think.

Plus, there’s the fact that they have to provide food and clothing and all those other ‘needs’ for their family. Sure, every family has to do that. But doing it with only one source of income is harder.

I know one homeschooing family with only one kid. They have a super nice house and a sick sports car. You’d never know that the mom doesn’t work full time.

My family on the other hand, has six kids, and while I wouldn’t say our house isn’t nice or our minivan sucks, my parents definitely don’t spend money on whatever their heart desires.

A few years back, my dad started his own business, and now he’s his own boss, and he earns more than ever before. So, financially, we’re not struggling. If we did go to public school, however, and my mom had a full time job, sure, we’d have more money. But we’re not poor, so it doesn’t matter.

What I’m trying to say is that homeschoolers are not any poorer than other schoolers. We just usually have more expenses.

And anyways, the Bible says that the love of money is the path to all evil. You might not agree or even believe the Bible. But, in my opinion, I’d rather be poor and homeschooled than rich and a selfish jerk. Just saying.

And even if someone is poor, what’s so wrong with that?

So this chapter wasn’t as humorous as usual. Idk, do you like the funny, not-so-serious ones that don’t really make sense, or this? Let me know, so I can appease to you, cause I never really know what to write. And while you’re at it, tell me what has been your favorite chapter so far. Okay, cool.

Anyways, only 2 more Lies left, and then a few special chapters after that which I’ll tell you about soon! Next update will be next Friday.

Thank you for being amazing.

<3 Ashlyn

PS. Anybody going to see Mockingjay? I AM :)