Lie #24: Homeschoolers Abort Sports

We all know sports are pretty important in today’s world. Not just sports on a national level, but also simple, school sports. I have yet to find a public school that doesn’t have any sports. And most schools have quite a few: football, soccer, golf, volleyball, baseball, bowling. They’ve basically got them all.

But then, what about homeschooling? I mean, obviously there’s not enough people in one household to make up an entire team, unless they’re like the Duggars or something. (The Duggars are a homeschooling family with 19 kids. They have their own reality tv show. Look them up right now. Well, after you finish reading.)

Can homeschoolers participate in a team sport? Or any sport?

The answer, as you may have guessed, is yes. Why would I disappoint you guys by saying no? Because that would make the title of this chapter the truth, and we all know this book isn’t called “Truths about Homeschoolers”… that’d just be too typical.

Okay on with the point -->      .

(How could I leave that out? I did in the last chapter, and somebody ‘pointed’ it out to me. OMGSH I just can’t get over how punny I am)

Anywho, we – and by we, I mean homeschoolers – can participate in sports.

You’re probably like: “What? Woah?! HOW??!”

Well no need to fret, I will no educate you and your senseless brain in just a moment.

So, I’ve mentioned this previously, but I play volleyball. YUP, we actually won a national championship this year. And a state championship. And a championship in our league. And then some other championship. Basically, we’re pretty much amazing.

And get this, our team is made up of a bunch of homeschoolers. Mmhhmm you heard me correctly… homeschoolers.

Again, you’re probably asking “HOW??!”

Well… I am involved in a co-op, a homeschool group, with over 300 people, I think. I know, not as much as most schools, but that’s pretty good for a bunch of homeschoolers. And we have sports. Volleyball being only one of them. We also have soccer, which has won a few national championships, baseball, snowboarding, ice-skating, basketball, and I don’t even know what else. Not all of these are at a competitive level. But the majority are. And we compete against other, real schools. Usually private Christian schools.

However, not everyone has this amazing opportunity that I do. Not all homeschoolers have a bunch of other homeschoolers in their area. But, these not-so-fortunate homeschoolers also have the chance to participate in sports.

You see, some schools allow homeschoolers to participate in their sports, or even some of their classes. (I’ve never mentioned this before, but I attend a public school every day for just one class. I’m not enrolled in the school though, so I’m still homeschooled.)

Usually it’s private schools that allow this. There’s two in my city, of which I know do this. However, they both have a fee. But it’s a pretty great program; you can actually be a part of a school’s sport.

There’s also the option of city leagues. When I was younger, I played soccer with my city. I was terrible but my team was amazing. Basically we won every game. I don’t even know how, but I was like, 10.

And also, I did gymnastics. That was fun. And now, my younger sisters are obsessed with gymnastics, and that’s like, all they do. They even compete and they’re amazing at it.

I did swimming as well. They had lessons at our local swimming pool. However, I didn’t compete.

So, I haven’t been deprived of sports at all. Everyone has the option to play sports; however, not everyone does them. Not everyone is sporty. And that’s okay.

But don’t go telling yourself that homeschoolers can’t play sports because then you’d be believing a lie.

I literally just remembered to write this. I was like, “OMGSH IT’S FRIDAY :O I HAVE TO UPDATE!”

One more lie to go… I am sad yet relieved to get this book finished. And then the bonus chapters which I’ll tell you about next Friday when I update.

Do you play any sports? Don’t forget to include ‘The sporty homeschooler’ or ‘The amazing public schooler’ in your comment because I like to know those.

And um… yeah, Mockingjay was AMAZING and I want to see it again. I hope you guys had a great thanksgiving.

<3 Ashlyn