Chapter 8

My eyes silently scanning through the words of each page, I was caught up in my own peaceful imagination, enjoying a good book I didn't know I had. It was peaceful inside the vicinity, the only sound perceived were the continuous flipping of pages, and the repetitive tick-tock of the wall clock.

It felt nostalgic. I wondered to myself how long since I've last felt this comforting silence. I missed it. I was hoping to be consumed by this serenity for eternity, but I knew that was rather ambitious of me. By the time I'd get that eternal silence I was aspiring for, I know I'd be dead.

Reaching the climax of the story, a sudden rap of knocks erupted from my bedroom door, interrupting me to my dissatisfaction. Putting the book aside, I opened the door to be greeted by a shirtless Izaya; his towel draping over his neck but did a horrible job hiding his torso.

Seeing his bare chest, I was about to slam the door at his face, but his foot getting in the way prevented me from doing so. Heaving out a sigh, I cracked the door a little bit for him, raising a brow in question at the raven head.

"What is Izaya?" I inquired, staring directly into his maroon brown eyes, avoiding gazing at his lean half-naked body. I tapped my foot in impatience, the situation uncomfortable for me. "This better be important." I hissed.

"I do apologize for disrupting you of your alone time." He sent me what seemed to be an apologetic smile upon saying so, but I knew too well to believe so. In fact, it was blatantly a teasing smirk. "I just have a bit of dilemma at the bath. The faucet doesn't seem to be working, there's no water coming out."

Hearing his explanation I heaved out a sigh, fully opening the door. I forgot to tell him that it's that time of the year.

"Follow me." I stated, closing my bedroom door behind me. Leading Izaya to the backyard, I pointed at the well-maintained well situated in the area. "Don't expect water from the faucet for the whole season. Unlike Ikebukuro, this town isn't sophisticated. The water's usually out during summer."

"Ha?" For the first time in my life, I had seen Izaya look so dumbfounded, his mouth agape. I found it somewhat hilarious to see his eyebrows twitching, appearing to be unpleased by the news brought upon him. "So you're telling me that I have to live with gathering water from the well for two whole months before I can take a bath."

"Basically, yeah." I replied nonchalantly, proceeding to go back inside the house. "You can fill that tub with water." I gestured at the clean, stone tub a few feet away from the well. I was honestly hiding my amusement upon seeing the scowl in his face as he watched the object with an irritated expression. "Don't worry, that's clean."

"You do know it's hard to take a bath comfortably in an open area, especially with you around." Izaya remarked, visibly annoyed. Before stating his next comment, a smirk made its way in his lips, seeming to find a way out of his small predicament. "And do you expect me to gather water from the well with my rehabilitating arms? I remember you reminding me countless times to void exerting too much effort."

"Oh, your limbs are fine for a whole week now. I just said a small white lie to avoid having you moving too freely inside the house." I claimed, watching amusedly how the smirk on Izaya's pale face curled down to a frown. "And besides, one small pail of water is not too heavy for anyone. Although, it may take you quite some time to fill that tub. Good luck with that."

Stepping inside the house, I closed the backyard door behind me, stretching my arms.

"I might as well continue with that book." I mumbled to myself, sauntering off to my bedroom, satisfied with seeing the manipulative informant in a fazed state.