One

Chapter One

    "C'mon Leslie, you need to live a little and have some fun!" My best friend, Angela, exclaimed to me. I stayed to myself most of the days anymore. Not for any particular reason, I was just in some kind of funk. I wasn't inspired to write, draw, do my work for college, or anything of the sorts. I slept most of the days away after classes and would never hang out with my friends. My mental health wasn't even bad, that's the thing. I don't know why I have felt like this. However, it has made me want to confine myself most days in fear of spreading my demotivation. Even though that's not really a thing.

    "I don't party. That's not who I am," I replied in a dead tone. We met a few years ago in our freshmen year of college. She was assigned to be my roommate. That got the ball rolling from there and we have clicked ever since.

    "That's because you've never really been to a party. Please? One party, and if it's still not your type of thing, I'll never ask again," she pouted and swayed back and forth from her bed. We still lived in the same dorm from freshmen year; the tiny space being enough to fit a bed, dresser, and desk for each of us.

    "Just one? That's it?"

    "Yes," she affirmed, holding her hands up to her mouth to hide the shit eating grin she was forming. Angela knew she had won.

    "Fine," I gave in and she immediately jumped down from her bed to run over to give me a hug. I felt her arms envelop my body and I half heartedly patted her on the back, "But I'm not wearing anything special. No dinky dress and heels, I just want to be me. Some jeans and a shirt. Got it?"

    She rolled her eyes but soon agreed. Angela jogged to the bathroom to get ready for the party. I had just got done with my classes. Today was my longest day of the week and I had my last class at three. The rest of the week my schedule only runs until one, except Wednesday. I had that day completely free from classes.

    I ran up from my bed and pounded my fist on the door, "I need to shower, Angie!"

    Hastily, she opened the door with her hands full of makeup and a hand mirror. She constantly tries to do her makeup in the bathroom with the big mirror, but each dorm room has one bathroom. It's not like I can go somewhere else to do my business or shower. I hopped into the shower soon after and washed my hair before doing my body. Thank god I had just shaved like two days ago. I doused a loofa in my favorite bath & body works scented body gel called Champagne Toast. It had a very distinct smell of tangerines, berries, and champagne and I loved smelling unique. It's not a normal fruity or musky scent, not something normally pinpointed. That's what I loved about it. Imagine going to a party and just being remembered by your smell. That's such a dope feeling.

    After the rest of my shower, I blow dried my hair and came out of the bathroom in nothing but a towel wrapped around my torso. While living together for two or so years now, Angie and I have gotten used to this fact. It doesn't bother us anymore; we're close enough and mature enough to handle seeing each other half naked. It's bound to happen at least once when you live with someone.

    "Looking cute," I noted, looking at her. She was going all out, wearing big fake lashes and bright highlighter. While it did look good on her, I'd look like a clown with that much makeup on. It used to be my thing in high school, but as I grew up moving into senior year of high school, I realized that I would rather sleep in instead of get ready. It's been that way ever since. If I get up in time, I'm bored, or the occasion calls for it, I'll wear makeup. However, it's not an everyday thing for me.

    I opened my dresser drawers and pulled out a pair of jeans. They were high waisted, ripped black denim jeans. There were two gaping holes in the knees, one long rip right under my bum on my upper thigh in the back, and a few little ones on the front side on the thigh. They were really cute and flattering. I pulled those on and picked out a white and black checkered tube top to go along with it. Half of the tube top was checkered, the other half was orange. There was a buckle that buckled to the front a little below that too. I assumed there would be a lot of people there, so everyone would in the least bit be cramped and it'd be hot. Therefore, I made the conscious decision not to pair the outfit with a throw over like a cardigan, flannel, or sweatshirt. I had a feeling I'd regret that later on, though.