Eleven

Chapter Eleven

    "Why can't we be that cute?" I heard someone say. I could feel the heaviness of my eyes and struggled to open them. Colby's fingers twitched against my back. My shirt must've ridden up during our sleep. I moved my leg on top of Colby's lap and moved closer to his body. I could hear his heartbeat against my ear, so I moved my hand under my head. Sometimes minuscule sounds like the thumping of a heart tug on my nerves.

    "Shh," I heard someone shush, "You almost woke her up!"

    There was a guy and a girl in the room. Being so tired, I couldn't quite match their voices but I knew they were familiar. I mean, obviously. There wouldn't be random people in the trap house. Well, there were random people in the house just last weekend putting a snake on Colby's bed. So, you never know.

    After I heard them whispering—but doing quite bad at staying quiet—for a few minutes straight, my eyes finally gained the strength to open. I fluttered them open a bit to see Kat standing in the doorway and Sam a few feet in the room. I blinked a couple of times before staring at the both of them.

    "I told you you'd wake her up," Sam told Kat, hands on his hips. Would you believe that he was the sassy one in their relationship?

    "What time is it?" I asked. Colby's lamp was now on and I knew it was dark out before I had fallen asleep. It was around seven or eight in the night when I had clocked out. Colby fell asleep around four or five in the evening.

    "It's almost three in the morning," Kat said. I closed my eyes and raised my eyebrows high, blinking like that one meme. Why were they awake this late? And why were they in Colby's room this late?

    "Um, okay," I said groggily, beginning to sit up in bed. Colby moved a little bit when I got out of bed, but he eventually settled down and rolled over to face the wall. I'm so glad he was getting some sleep. I had a gut feeling he didn't get any this past week.

    I grabbed my phone and turned the flashlight on before turning the lamp off in the corner of the room. I left the room, Sam and Kat following in tow. After we shut his door, I turned the flashlight off. The hall light was on and I had woken up a bit more.

    "What're you guys doing up so late?" I questioned. My hair was an absolute mess. There was nothing cute about this messy bun anymore. The loose bun was down by my neck and at this point, I just needed to brush my hair and get it over with.

    "We were going to film a prank video," Sam started, "Where we pretend like the house is on fire. I wanted to make sure everyone was asleep, but then I saw Colby finally getting some, and decided to wait on the prank."

    "And look at these cute videos and pictures we took," Kat gushed, holding out her phone as she stood beside me. We both cooed in excitement about how adorable it was, Sam just mocked us and began walking downstairs. We both rolled our eyes and followed him. As Kat and I were talking, I found out that she had posted a video of Colby and I cuddling and sleeping on her Snapchat and Instagram story, claiming it was 'too cute' not to post.

    "So what's up with the prank war?" I asked Sam, stealing a water bottle in the fridge from Colby's shelf.

    "It's something we've been doing since we moved in. I don't remember how it all started, but we've had like three prank wars since we moved in. You should've been here when our old roommate, Elton, lived here. His pranks were savage."

    "I'll have to watch some of them," I muttered after swallowing a gulp of water.

    "He once superglued a bright pink wig to Colby's head."