Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

    "I can't do this anymore!" Colby yelled, throwing his crutches across the room. He was trying to go to the kitchen to get something to eat. He refused to let me get him something. I get that he wanted to be independent, but it doesn't hurt to take help. As he was walking out there, he lost his footing with the left crutch and face planted onto the floor.

    "Baby, baby," I cooed, grabbing a paper towel from over by the sink. Tripping had made his nose bleed, so I helped him take care of it. We both sat on the kitchen floor. I was sitting in between his legs putting pressure on his nose. He was slouched, staring at his crutches from all the way by the fridge. He had chucked them by the hallway into the garage.

    It was Tuesday and he had a doctor's appointment while I was in school. His brain was healing immensely and was given the okay to be in sunlight, screens, etc. It was a big step for him in the healing process, but he didn't see it that way. I think it's just frustrated him more. He sees all the things his fans are posting and can't even respond. I think it made him sad that he had to go on a break, regardless of if it was best for him or not.

    "I'm so tired of this. I just wanted to get some damn food and I can't even do that," he cried out. He pounded his un-casted fist onto the floor. Again and again. I had to hold his hand to get him to stop.

    "You're hurt, Colby. It's okay to reach out and get help from other people. It doesn't mean you're weak. It shows that you're human. You can't do this alone."

    "I hate this, Les. I hate this so much. I don't want to do this anymore."

    Tears fell from his eyes and trickled down his cheeks. I've never seen him this sad before. Sam's fear was coming true. Colby was losing himself. He needed to be reminded that everyone is here for him. Reminded that he'll get through this.

    "Hey, don't think like that. It's going to be hard. I'm not going to lie to you. You're so strong though, Colby. Just think of the good things. People can sign your cast. You can get people to wait on you hand and foot. It's like we're your personal maids now."

    He laughed and wiped away his tears, "Do you think I can get Jake to wear a maid costume and dust off the shelves?"

    I chuckled at the image of Jake in a maid costume. I rested my head against Colby's chest as I laughed. This is the Colby I wanted to see. He's more than his pain and defeat. I know he can get through this; he needs to tap into the strength inside his mind that I know he's buried away.

    I stood up off the floor and put the bloody rag in the kitchen sink. Now thinking about it, I probably should've walked it over to the washer but I'll do that later. Lord only knows that it won't get done unless I do it. I held my hand out for Colby to take and helped him back up to his feet. We mutually decided to cook a frozen pizza from the freezer.

    The both of us hung out on the love sac in the gaming room until the pizza was done. For the ten or so minutes we were waiting, I decided to bring up Christmas break again. I was leaving this weekend on Saturday, the day after finishing my finals. With everything that happened to Colby, though, I didn't want to leave him even more so. I was afraid that if I leave him, he'll get even more depressed than he already is. I don't want him to dig himself into a hole too deep to climb out of.

    "I leave this weekend to go back home for a month," I abruptly brought up as he was playing a game on his phone. He lost the level he was on and locked the screen up.

    "What if I came with you? I could stay with you until the 23rd. That gives me almost a week to meet your family and get to know them."

    "You know I'd love that, Colby," I grinned. He was finally going to meet my family. All of my siblings and my mum. He'd get to see the little traditions we have. I think he'll fit in perfectly. Every single Christmas after opening the gifts, we all sit on the couch in some new pajamas and crowd around a tiny phone or laptop screen, researching abandoned places as well as places we want to go. We make travel goals and strive towards them. It gives us all something to look forward to in the future. I don't think Colby will be there to see all of that though.