♜ Prologue ♜

Five Years Earlier

Five Years Earlier

Spencer Kingsley had always been a bit of an introvert. His social circle never really allowed him to shut himself out, however, so he had to attend all the functions. But he managed to find an excellent compromise. That was why he was currently sitting in a random bedroom on a yacht in St Tropez, plunged into a Greek epic. He could hear the party from outside but easily tuned it out as he became captivated by Odysseus' rantings.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he ignored it until it vibrated again. Sighing, he dog-eared the page he was on before picking up his phone.

"Where r u ?" The text from his friend Madeline had said.

"Partying," He typed back. "With girls." He grimaced at his text. Why was he so awkward? "Hot girls," He added in an attempt to make it less awkward.

Three dots appeared at the bottom of the screen, implying Madeline was replying to him. He groaned loudly and rather dramatically. He really wanted to get back to his book.

"Liar," She replied eventually.

Madeline was a human lie-detector. He should have know she wouldn't believe him. But he hesitated telling her the truth. It was her who had organised the group holiday to St. Tropez. It was amazing seeing the power she had as the queen of their social circle because what started out as a holiday for four quickly became a midsummer reunion for practically everyone from their high school.

Spencer never really fit in. Everyone except him seemed to be having the time of their life. Partying just wasn't his thing. He never understood why he was part of the Royal Four, a term he had coined himself after years of observation. It consisted of Madeline, Nora and Oliver. And Spencer. They had all been best friends since childhood. Oliver and him were practically raised together. However, while Madeline, Nora and Oliver had seemed to earn their place with social merit, Spencer felt like a lucky bastard who had just been friends with the right people. He wasn't like them and didn't contribute to the social hierarchy in anyway.

"No," He replied, not knowing what else to say.

He could just imagine Madeline, Oliver and Nora dancing on the top deck. It had always been the four of them. They were inseparable and Spencer didn't think that anything could ever pull them apart.

A soft knock came from the door as a girl in a bright yellow bikini barged in. She flicked her gold-cuffed braids and laughed.

"There you are!"

Spencer groaned as he stared at his best friend. He tried to hide his book but she quickly fished it from his hands.

"Maddie, give that back!"

"Nope," She giggled playfully, tossing it up into the air. It landed with a thump on the floor behind her and the way in which it fell made Spencer wince and want to leap up from his chair and salvage it. The pages were undoubtedly destroyed, eternally distorted in a hellish bend.