29 ♜ A Dream Sequence

I was meant to publish another chapter after this but I think I will leave it for Off-Screen and officially end TKOM with this chapter (which will be followed by an epilogue). Enjoy!

  Spencer met Madeline at the age of five in kindergarten

Spencer met Madeline at the age of five in kindergarten. Even at five, Madeline was nothing short of iconic. As soon as she stepped in, all the children ogled at her light-up shoes and cool toys. Spencer and Oliver were sitting beside each other, perhaps the only ones not charmed by Madeline. They couldn't spare her a glance because they were too busy playing with their Tamagotchis. Suddenly, a young girl with ridiculously huge eyes planted herself in the seat in front of them and announced they were her new friends. They both shrugged and continued playing while Madeline watched them observingly.

  Spencer couldn't pinpoint exactly when he fell in love with her. But he did remember when he realised he had feelings for her. They were fifteen. Madeline had invited him, Nora and Oliver to a sleepover because she was home alone (aside from the chef and her french au pair). Oliver and Nora couldn't come so it was just the two of them for the whole night. They talked about everything, from their favourite flavour of Ramen to what would happen after death. And it was so peaceful. They fell asleep on the couch, Madeline's head on Spencer's lap and in the morning, when Spencer woke up before her, he couldn't stop staring at her peaceful sleeping face. She represented peace to him. Spencer realised then that he never wanted to live in a future that didn't involve Madeline Lockhart. She meant everything to him.

"We're here, sir," The Uber driver announced.

Spencer looked outside the window to find Dr Ann's clinic right in front of him. The red-bricked building stared dauntingly at him. He reached out to the door handle but froze. It was a stupid idea. Madeline didn't want him ambushing her at her doctor. He should have never come. He wasn't ready to be a father. And Madeline didn't love him-

"Sir? I said we have arrived."

  Stop being a coward, Spencer. You got this

"Oh... yeah, yeah. Sorry."

Spencer took a deep breath before opening the door and leaving. He shoved down all his fears as he staggered towards the clinic, nervous and jittery. However, when he reached the door and tried to push it he found it was locked. He tried again to no avail. His eyes landed on the opening hours of the clinic which revealed they weren't open on Sundays.

Of course Spencer had failed to take into account his horrific luck.

"Shit!" He cursed. Why was nothing going his way? He didn't know where Madeline was. Priya probably heard her wrong. For all he knew, she could have been back in Blake's arms. Why wouldn't she choose him over Spencer? Blake was perfect. Her history with him wasn't as muddled and complicated as her history with Spencer. She could live such a peaceful life with Blake.

But Spencer needed to see her. He had to at least try and win her back.

He dialled Nora's number in a desperate last effort to locate her.