4 ♜ Relations

Spencer and Charlie stared at their mother in confusion as she laid out a home made breakfast on the table in front of them

Spencer and Charlie stared at their mother in confusion as she laid out a home made breakfast on the table in front of them. Charlie gagged as she turned away and Spencer had to kick him under the table. To say their mother was terrible at cooking was the understatement of the century. In their house having a chef wasn't just a luxury- it was a necessity. Poking the runny eggs with his fork, Spencer's nose scrunched up as they jiggled. Beside them on the plate was 'crispy' (burnt) turkey bacon and a questionable, rock-hard toast. However, the smile on his mother's face was enough to make him try it at least.

  "Mom, why did you make breakfast?" Charlie asked with a tone of disdain. Clearly, he wasn't as polite as his brother.

  His mother's smile faltered, making Spencer kick Charlie once again.

  "Ow! I mean... Mom this looks.... really good!" Charlie scooped up some egg on his fork and shoved it in his mouth with a saccharine smile. "Yum!"

  "I really hope you like it. I know I don't cook much but I just wanted to do something special for you boys."

  As his mother turned around, Charlie and Spencer simultaneously spat into napkins. The food was nauseating. How could someone be so terrible at cooking?!

  Much to their relief, Helena placed a bowl of strawberries and grapes in front of both of them, along with a store-bought yoghurt. No one could screw up fruit and yoghurt.

  Helena sat down at the top of the table and watched her boys eat with a wide grin on her face. "So, what are your plans for today?"

  "Going to see a friend," Charlie replied slowly, still confused over his mother's politeness.

  "Oh wow," She boomed, feigning interest. "Where!"

  "Thestatepenitentiary," He mumbled quickly, shoving toast in his mouth.

  But his attempt to hide where he was going failed, which was clear from the way his mother's face screwed up.

  "What?! Kamil Charles Kingsley-"

  She used his full name so she meant business.

  "-I thought you were done with him! Dustin is bad news!"

  Dustin was Charlie's ex-boyfriend. He was busted for drug dealing and was currently on his second year of a four year sentence (with parole so who knew when he'd be out). What made the whole ordeal terribly awkward was the fact that Dustin's parents hired Helena as his lawyer when neither party knew of his relationship with Charlie. Needless to say, things got pretty awkward when they found out after walking in on Charlie and Dustin making out. Helena banned Charlie from seeing him again but clearly it didn't work.