13 ♜ Tempest in the Mind

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION IN AUTHOR'S NOTE AT END OF CHAPTER!!!

  Spencer turned on his phone after arriving home and found a missed call from Amelie as well as a text

'if you get bored during the party come over to mine and we can netflix and chill ;) '

Spencer winced at the message. If only she knew where he was the night before. Spencer felt terrible. He felt very, very shitty. Madeline had said something during the fight that stuck with him; She compared him to Oliver. Oliver! Oliver who had cheated on Nora with Madeline in high school. Oliver who went clubbing and told his girlfriend that he was working. Oliver who was nothing but selfish!

  Never in a million years would Spencer have thought he would be compared to Oliver. But the more he thought about it, the more he realised just how eerily accurate the comparison was. As much as he loved his best friend, he had to admit that Oliver was as selfish as they come. But what Spencer did the night before was selfish. He lied to Madeline about being single and cheated on Amelie even though he was the one that suggested being exclusive. And he couldn't even blame it on being drunk because the truth was, despite the glass of champagne, Spencer was more sober than ever before. He was in his right mind and therefore should have known better.

But perhaps the worst part was that he felt worse about being rejected than he did about cheating. That was what made him like Oliver.

  He had been waiting for that moment for so long that he was convinced it would go perfectly. Heck, he always imagined fireworks going off as they kissed to the background noise of everyone applauding them. Then he'd whisk her off her feet and they would fly off into the sunset like Sandy and Danny except Madeline wouldn't have to change for Spencer. It would have been glorious.

  But, alas, he failed to take into account the 'small' issue of both of them being in relationships.

  It wasn't that he didn't like Amelie. Nor was it that he didn't want to be with her. But seeing Madeline made him lose his senses. He wasn't thinking. The fact was that the moment his eyes landed on Madeline he forgot about everything and everyone.

  But clearly she didn't feel the same way.

  Spencer sighed and threw himself onto his bed, burying his face into his pillow. He groaned dramatically and flung his phone to the opposite side of the room. After hearing it land and crack, he groaned again.

  It just wasn't his day.

♜♜♜

Spencer decided that he would be productive instead of moping around about Madeline and Amelie. After leaving the 'Apple' Store with a new phone in his leather satchel, Spencer made a beeline towards the quiet Italian café he loved for a day of editing and writing.

Perhaps Spencer's biggest flaw was his inability to confront his issues head-on. He avoided his problems like the plague and usually either ran away to a foreign country or plunged himself into work. This time he chose the latter. As soon as he ordered his large macchiato with a slice of tiramisu on the side, he whipped out his laptop and began typing.