Chapter One, The Beginning

I was woken by a loud bang; there was a storm raging outside. The wind was howling like crazy and making a tree branch scratch at my window. It sounded a bit scary and I couldn't get myself to go back to sleep.

Just great. Today is going to be a blast, I thought to myself, and I pushed off the blankets.

I shook my head and wiped my eyes, and then looked at the clock. It was 05:49, and I was tempted to go back to sleep, but I had to be up in 10 minutes anyway to get ready for school.

I sat up and was about to go to the bathroom when I heard my stepfather's loud footsteps. He had come home early this morning. He was the Head Detective of the LA Police Department. His name was Dean Walker, he married my mother two years ago, and I had never seen her happier. I knew most kids didn't like their stepparents, but Dean was pretty cool, young, and understanding of us kids.

I went into my bathroom and shivered when my feet touched down on the cold tile. I really wished Ozzy would let us keep the house warm, but he seemed to like the cold and always turned on the AC after everyone had gone to bed. Ozzy is my twin brother and I love him, but I hated the cold, especially in June.

I looked in the mirror and saw dark circles under my eyes; I hadn't been sleeping well and it showed. Lately, I had been getting the feeling that I was being watched. It didn't matter where I was; the feeling was there. At school, at the beach, even in my own room, it had made me restless. I quickly brushed my teeth and took a quick shower. Thankfully, by the time I was done, I no longer looked like something the cat would have dragged in.

I walked out of the bathroom and into my walk-in closet. I was the only girl in the house, and I had to admit, I was a bit spoiled, but I tried not to act like it. I quickly threw on a black bra and panty set, along with my favorite pair of blue jeans, and followed it up with a black tank top. It was the middle of June and quite hot outside, even so early in the morning.

I also added the red necklace my mother had gotten for me on my last birthday. Ozzy also got a necklace, but not as pretty as mine. Our 16th birthday party was a great one, and I hoped this one would be just as awesome. I put on my black biker boots and was satisfied with my look. I walked back out and into my room.

In my room, I found Ozzy's girlfriend, Stacey, going through my things. She was the head cheerleader at school. She had light brown hair and muddy colored eyes. I hated her. She had cheated on Ozzy a few months back, something for which I would never forgive her for, even if my brother had. She slept with Ozzy's best friend, Daryl.

"What the hell are you doing in my room, Stacey?"

"Ozzy said you might have some red lipstick I could borrow," she replied.

"I'm a pale skinned girl. No, I don't have red lipstick. It doesn't look good on me," I said, in the same salty tone she used.

"Do you really not have any, or are you just being mean?"

I give her a half smile and walked over to my vanity. Pulling out the only red color I had, I threw it at her and told her to get out. I wasn't going to play nice with her just because Oz forgave her for what she did.

After she left, I started on myself. Smoky eye shadow and a thin layer of pink lipstick made me look top shape. I straightened and blow-dried my hair and let out a huff. My hair was always the hardest part to do, because it was so long.

I looked back at my clock; it was now 06:30, so I went to grab my things for school. I had a lot of books I had to return that today. When I grabbed my phone, I noticed an email:

From: yoursalways102@gmail.com

To: ivyturner120@gmail.com

Have a wonderful last day at school sweetheart, and a great birthday.