15 ~ Monsters

Kara's Point Of View

As I come to, I feel a soft pillow beneath my head. I sit up slowly to find that I was laying on the couch alone. The TV was on, but it was set to the news channel. Then the air fills with a delicious scent. I jump up throwing off the blanket and run to the kitchen. "What smells so..." And suddenly on the counter there's a plate full of food. I gasped. "Are those hash browns?" I ask almost yelling.

"No, no, no, no, no. I'm trying to make you breakfast in bed. I'm going for full romance here, and you, have ruined it." He turned to me all upset draped in an apron. I thought he looked kinda funny with it on, but adorable at the same time.

"That is very sweet, but there is no way you are getting in the way you me and BACON!" I put my hands on his cheek and moved past him towards the plate of food. "And biscuits. And-oh is that a poached egg? Where did you learn how to poach?" I pointed to the egg on the plate.

He picked up a cook book from the counter. "Oh, I uh, I found the instructions. Turns out books have a lot more useful information than YouTube." He answered and put the book away.

"Hey." I said happily.

"Who knew?"

"You have changed." I stated.

"Oh yeah?" He smiled and planted a kiss on my cheek.

I happily replied, "I'm impressed." And started walking to the other side of the counter as he began to sit down.

"Well I figured that since you were good enough to accept me flaws an' all, that I should be good enough to fill every moment in your life with joy." He folded his arms on the table. "Oh, and coffee, cause that's ready." She picked up a mug and stood back up, turning towards the coffee machine.

"Well there's another thing that's good about the weekends." I sat down on a stool at the island as he turned back to me carrying the mug of coffee.

"And what's that?" He asked cluelessly putting down the mug.

"There's more time with you." I shrugged gripping the sleeves on my shirt. He grew a warm smile as he took in my answer and looked into my eyes. I looked down coming back to reality. "Any words on your parents?" I asked picking up a fork.

"No their just, hovering up there in orbit." He sighed pouring himself a cup of coffee. He put down the coffee and looked up at me. "Is that what they mean by helicopter parenting?"

The news volume became louder. "Breaking news! 17 year old girl found dead in the back of an abandoned car in Midvale in early morning. Marks on body show assault from either mugging, or rapist. Parents were interviewed, and told our officials that they had no idea she was even out of the house that night. 'when we sent her to bed, we had no idea she would sneak out or get kidnapped' (the mother sobbed) 'whoever did this will pay' (the father broke in)" and that's when they started beeping out the parents. "Full story tonight and 10." The news anchorman stated.

I was shocked. The name of the girl on the screen was Tasha Freeman. That was the name of the girl that I thought was my friend. "Tasha..." I whimpered. I turned to Mon El with my lip poking out about to cry. He stood up and walked over to me.

Mon el's Point Of View

I rushed over to her and rapped my arms around her. She burried her face in my shoulder with her eyes beginning to water. I thought that Tasha was really mean to Kara, after she told me what Tasha said to her, I don't even know how she could be crying. She was horrible to her. I don't even know how she could stand being her friend. She picked her head up with her eyes still damp with tears, I rubbed her back. I sat next to her as Eliza and Alex walked in tiredly. Alex's glance shot at Kara's expression.

She looked at me directly afterwards. "What did you do?" She demanded.

I put my hands up in defense. "I was helping."

"Sure you were, buster. I knew I couldn't trust you from the start." She grumbled.

"Woh Alex, I think he's telling the truth." Eliza put her hand in front of her and started walking towards us. She got a look at the TV which was showing Tasha's dead body in a bad with her head sticking out dripping blood and bruised all on her face. She turned off the TV after Alex also saw and walked over to Kara. "Kara, I know how much it must hurt to find out your friend was killed from the news."

I kept my arms rapped around her waist, she nodded in weak sobs. She tried speaking but her lips quivered too much for her to make out a full sentence. She just shook her head and tilted it down with her eyes swelling with tears again. I laid my head on her shoulder and kissed her cheek trying to make her feel better. She placed her hand on the side of my face. She picked her head up looked at Eliza. She tried saying something else, but  Eliza just agreed and sat next to her and hugged her. Alex joined and took my spot. I kneeled down on my knees, but I was still tall enough to embrace her.

(Later in the day)

Eliza told me to leave and let my parents know that I was alive and safe. She knew they would be extra worried after seeing the news. I agreed and gave Kara a goodbye kiss. We hugged one last time and she let me leave. I walked down the sidewalk towards the Matthews house when I suddenly heard footsteps behind me. I knew who it was. I stopped looked down at my feet with my hands in my pockets. My father was probably behind me, I knew that he would have to say goodbye before leaving his son. I turn at with a smirk to find my mother standing where I thought my father would be.

I cleared my throat. "Mother." I stated. "I wasn't expecting you." I tilted my head.

"Well, I wanted to break the news to you first..." She started unwilling to finish. She let her head drop.

"What news?" I asked calmly. I grew impatient of her silence. "What news mother?" I repeated.

She just stared off at the cracks in the sidewalk instead of answering. "Fine." I grunted and turned around ready to walk away. I started walking when she bursted out.

"Your father is dead my son."

Her words echoed in my head. "Father is-"

"Gone." She interrupted. I stumbled back as I turned back to her. I gulped down the lump in my throat that didn't seem to want to go down. "I'm afraid someone shot him with a led bullet. We tried everything we could but... It was too late." She lied sadly.

"And how do I know this isn't a trick to get me to come back with you to Daxam?" I defiantly yelled back to her.

She shook her head. "I wouldn't lie about my own husbands death. Believe me or not, your father, the king, is dead. Killed by your people as you like to call them. The earthlings. They are the ones responsible. Join me Mon el, get revenge on your father-"

"No." I cut her off. "Like I said before, Kara makes me a better person. And she was raised by these so called monsters. And if they killed father, then they probably had a reason. Everyone has a reason for everything. Even if it is killing another man, or alien. But until you can prove I cannot trust them, and that they are complete monsters, You, are the only one I can't trust." I almost yelled at her.

"Monsters or not..." I began looking into her face, her with no expression. "They are not nearly as bad as the people we were back on Daxam." My voice softens. Her lips open in shock like she was about o say something.

But then shut it because deep down, she knew I was right.