31 ~ Hand in Hand, Side by Side

They both snapped back to reality and ran over to Lena. Kara lasered the cuffs with her heat vision, and put her hands on her hips. Lena looked at Her in thanks.

"Thank you Supergirl." She gulped.

"It's no trouble I was just—" she began.

"For saving our planet." She interrupted. "For saving us all. Humans and aliens alike." She finished looking at Mon el beside her.

"Your welcome." She smiled, feeling pride in wearing the crest of her people. Her smiled waned as she looked beside her at Mon el. "Though, I am sorry for your mother's passing." She apologized.

"No it's okay... She did invade the world and tried taking it over under her own reign so..." He shrugged. They both laughed softly.

Lena's glance shot at him. "Kara will be thrilled to know that you're okay." She piped in.

"Yeah, I bet she will be." He replied slyly, looking at girl standing by his side. Lena took his wrist and started walking down the street.

Kara watched at they began to walk away, feeling something empty inside her. She knew what she had to do. She caught up a few steps and grabbed Lena's hand. "Lena—wait." She stopped.

"Yes?" She turned and let go of the boy next to her.

"I need to tell you something." Kara struggled to find the words.

"Did I do something? Did Lex—" she started confusedly.

"No, no, it's not that." She stopped her. Kara looked down at her hands fidgeting. Mon el knew what she was trying to say, he stepped closer and stood next to Kara. She gave him a smile as she looked up to his face.

"What's..." Lena began unsteadily. She puzzled over what was going on. Mon el took Kara's hand and squeezed it lightly.

"As you know... I'm Supergirl." Kara stuttered. Lena cocked her head waiting for her to finish. "And I'm also, Kara."

"Kara?" Lena questioned. Kara smiled and held her hair back with her hand that was free. She gestured for her glasses. Mon el let go of her hand and raced over to where he left her cloths last time. He found a spare pair of her glasses and rushed back with them in his hand. He gave them to Lena, who was surprised and completely confused. As her hands shook with fear, they calmed at the sight of her friend after placing the glasses on her face. Kara's ears poking out slightly from the temples of the glasses behind them. Mon el held back her hair in a pony tail as Kara lowered her arms, and she smiled brightly at Lena.

"Surprise." Kara said with joy. But then she didn't see Lena's face as excited as hers. Kara's eyes glued to Lena's, that weren't happy. "What's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"Nothing, it's just..." Lena spat, straightening her back. "I feel dumb, to not be able to realize one of my closest friends would be... Supergirl." She finished.

"Well, is that a bad thing?" She asked again. Mon el let go of her hair and let it curl over her shoulders.

"No! No, I'm happy for you. That you are, succeeding... As an alien—and a superhero."  She fluttered. There was an awkward silence between all of them. "It's getting late, and my mother will kill me if I'm not home by curfew." Lena pointed down the street with her thumb.

"Yeah, me too." Kara agreed.

They looked at Mon El standing beside Kara looking up at the sky and all around, distracting himself. Kara nudged him in the side. "Me too." He came back to reality and answered in panic.

They waved goodbye and started walking their separate ways. Lena in the opposite direction as Kara and Mon el. As they passed the Matthews house, Kara got confused. "I thought you needed to go home?" Kara raised one eyebrow.

"Meh. Not yet." He shrugged. She smiled and kissed his cheek. He grinned and kissed the top of her forehead. She laid her head down in the crook of his neck, sighing at the beautiful night. It was a bit chilly, but it was nice.

They stopped at her house and shared a kiss goodnight. After she went inside, Mon el walked home. He walked to the Matthews house, and grabbed the key out of under the mat. He walked in after unlocking the door and went up to his room, taking off his Daxamite suit on the way up the stairs. He trudged through the door of his room and towards his bed, faceplanting on the sheets of the mattress. He pulled up the sheets and fell asleep.

There was no one else in the house. The rest of the people that lived there moved to National City. After they got Mon el back the first time, all they did was talk to him about moving. He'd always say no though. And it was for Kara. And right before he was taken a second time, they left for the city. They left him. They needed to be safe, and he sort of encouraged them to go so they would stay safe. But he never thought they would actually do it. But they did. They left some money, food, and a bus ticket if he ever wanted to join them.

He wouldn't though. He couldn't. He had to stay for Kara. And soon the bank would own the house, so he couldn't stay there for long.

****

The next day of school was normal. Lena hadn't told anyone Kara's identity, thankfully. There was a lot of talk about the new hero Supergirl. Everyone wanted to meet her, thank her, and some that wanted to say how hot she was. Kara smirked every time that she heard someone say that.

On the way home, the two love birds were walking hand in hand, side by side. "Babe, how many times have I told you that you're absolutely beautiful today?" He asked happily.

"Just today?" She replied.

He laughed at her response. "Well you are." He said cutely. "And I will keep telling you that until even you believe it." He insisted.

"Okay." She smiled and started walking happier. They passed a bunch of houses, talking and laughing. But when they came to the Matthews house...

There was a big sign on a pole in the driveway and huge locks on the doors. The sign read: Bank Property.

"What's going on?" Mon el muttered, thinking of the answer in his mind.

"How do they... Why?" Kara made out puzzled. "Where are the Matthews? Where are the owners? Your parents?" She worriedly asked looking around. Mon el nearly flinched when he heard the word parents slide out of her mouth so easily.

"I knew this would happen." He grunted.

"You knew that this was going to happen?" She echoed. His face angered at the sign, and he looked down then his expression mellowing to sadness. She comforted him and put her hand on his shoulder. "Hey... What's wrong." She asked with a musical tone lingering in her voice.

He turned to her with his lip quivering. "Remember my adopted parents and brother that lived in that house?" He replied.

"Yeah, what about them?" She answered, now rubbing the top of his back slightly.

"They uh... They left." He trembled. Her eyes were glued to him, in pain, trying to sympathize. "I can't blame them, I told them to 'go, be safe'. So I can't really be mad." He nodded.

"You should've told me." Kara asserted. The anger washed over her, but then she saw the sad, lonely boy that stood beside her. "I'm sorry." She apologized.

She looked at her feet wondering what to say next. She looked back up at him through her glasses. "You can come and stay at my place for a while." She suggested.

"Really?" He sniffled.

"Yeah." She smiled in innocence. "For as long as you need." She nodded.

He cracked a grin and rapped his arm around her. "I love you Kara Danvers." He complimented.

"Well I love you too handsome." She said jokingly.

"Come here." He said through a smile. He pulled her close and gave her a long deep kiss. He felt her smile against his lips. They pulled away and started walking again. Hand in hand, side by side.