Chapter Six/Admitting

Medina

I rush home and make my way to the bathroom to make Wudu. Only when I'm reciting the Quran do I finally feel at ease. I recite the beautiful words slowly, sounding out each word. Half an hour later I put the Quran away and turn to  pray . I pray that the lord forgives me for my thoughts earlier when I saw Jake with just a towel around his waist. Stupid idiot. What was he thinking loitering around only in a towel. Well It his home and he can do as he please there. But still....

When I felt a sense of peace wash over me I finally settle to sleep. Alhamdulillah, sleep came quickly and for once there weren't of a green eyed boy with a hold on my heart and emotions.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The next morning I was the one who tried to avoid Jake at all cost. I felt that I was more in control of my emotions if the tables were turned so to speak. During lunch I would catch him staring at me but we both would quickly look away.

My dear and loyal friend Natasha did not make it easier however. She could not get it through that pretty little skull of hers to let it be. Sophie was the only one who understood. Being a fellow muslim I guess she understands me in this regard.

''What is it with you two''. Natasha pokes me. A very annoying habit of hers. She does it when she wants answers ands she knows eventually if she keeps on persisting that it works. I'm holding on though. I'm trying at least.

''Nothing Tasha. Just let it go''. I cringe after another poke.

'' Not..poke..''until''..poke...''you''..poke...''tell''...poke..''me''..poke..''everything''..poke.poke.

''Oh for the love Of Allah. I think I'm  falling for Jw'. I whisper quickly, poking her back tenfold. She screamed. I don't know whether it was my poking retaliation or my declaration of love. Sophie just stared at me as if the news was nothing to her.

''Finally.'' Natasha rolled her eyes. ''Duh. We know already. We were waiting for you to realise it, dumbo.''. She stares at me with eyebrows raised.

''You knew.? Both of you? How?....When?'.I stammered uselessly.

''Medina. We are your best friends. We've known each other most of our lives. We also known Jake just as long. So it was obvious from the start ever since you were kids.'' Sophie finishes smiling at me.

''What do I do? I don't want these feelings. I just want to be back to how we were .Not these feeling of awkwardness and awareness when he's around me. You know it can't go anywhere.'' I try to blink back the tears.

My friends hugged me. No words were needed. Natasha may not be a muslim but she understood my situation. She understood that my religion was very important to me. She knows that when I started to wear the Hijab that I was serious. She questioned it at first but after explaining she finally respected my decision.

Sophie on the other hand doesn't wear the Hijab. She to is from Pakistan a place called Mirpur and her parents are more modern. That still doesn't mean that her folks would want her to marry someone who is non muslim. Hence her understanding my predicament more. I feel blessed that I have friends that are understanding as I unload my woes.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

English was difficult but I manage to sit through it. Even if I was clenching my teeth throughout.

Poor Sophie was patting my hand reassuringly. Whilst Natasha was throwing killer looks and coughing the word slut every five Minutes.

The reason was that Julie had decided to make an as..er a show of herself by practically sitting on Jake's lap. Almost. One more inch and she would be straddling him. I didn't know wether to feel sorry for him or hate him as she was way beyond obvious. I don't know how she gets away with it. I guess she has a two faced persona that the teachers find endearing. Letting her get away with all sorts in the process.

''Right Class. I want you to work in groups of four. The project must be completed by next week. So go find your partners.'' Mr Sloan barked out loudly. Good old Mr Sloan. He certainly knows how to rule a class.

''Yo Jake. We are one short so get over here''. Natasha shouted across the classroom.

I stared at her in shock. What the hell. Why? What is she playing at.

''Sorry. ''She whispers back. ''Poor guy needs rescuing from the maneater''.

To say that Jake was relieved was an understatement. Julie had a very unattractive pout as she begged him to team up with her and her minions. He however was so desperate to come and join us that he almost face planted the floor in his haste to escape her clutches.

''Sugar and fudge''. I whisper to myself as he made his way to our table with a look of utter appreciation on his beautiful features. I looked away when his eyes met mine. Rubbing my sweaty palms on my shirt. Here we go again. I said to myself. Cursing myself inwardly for my body's reaction when he took a  seat across from me.

''Thanks a billion Tasha. I thought I was going to die over there. The overpowering stench of julie's perfume can kill a horse''. He faked mortification. Which resulted in Natasha and Sophie laughing and me trying to suppress a smile by biting my bottom lip. I glance up to see him staring at the action and we both look quickly away.

Sugarrrr this is going to be hard. I thump Natasha on her thigh under the table. When she whelped I also pinched her shooting her daggers. She however took it as a good friend and tried to apologise with her eyes but I wasn't in a forgiving mood at the moment.

The next Twenty minutes were spent brainstorming a rough draft of our project. We had to create a model of a animal of our choice only using recycled material. It was supposed to be four foot tall and had to have as much detail as possible. Then we had to write the history about said animal. Right from their existence to their current state. It was interesting for I always find creativity my strongest point and aside from our extra member I was looking forward to it.

This was going to be one heck of a week. I don't know how I am going to get through it. I guess I can make up an excuse but that wouldn't be fair on the others. If I can't feel normal with Jake in a room full of other students then how in the world was I going to complete this project when we had to attend Natasha's basement to do it.

Maybe this a test from Allah, I think to console myself. I hope that my lord will help me past it. I hope that I will past it with flying colours.