Chapter Twenty Six/Focus

Jake

The next few days I do my utmost to avoid Medina. Oh the irony..I remember when she use to do the same to me. Now I know how she felt. Again another irony. I think the rest of my whole damn life is going to be one frigging irony after another.

Fuck..what is that woman doing to me.? I'm even swearing again. Come on! Nobody is perfect I'm trying here. But it is pretty damn hard when the girl who broke your heart into a million pieces and who you had to travel on the othe side of the world to forget is now a woman who happens to work in the same place as you and you just fucking realised that everything you did was just pointless as you still fucking love her but she is married and also a mother.

Well now you get it. See I'm entitled to be a moody bastard now and then. Having said that the lads weren't happy with my pissy attitude over the weekend. When they finally badgered out the reason they were constantly on and on and on and....you get the picture. Damn idiots were acting like a bunch of girls. Oohing and ahhing..swear I was nearly close to killing them all.

So hear I am with my class of five year olds. Kadin and the kids are staring up at me waiting for me to continue. Shit..I've been getting carried away with my thoughts again and it didn't help that the cute little blue eyed boy who looked nothing like his beautiful mother was looking at me expectantly.

''Mr white..are you okay?".He asks me.

No I'm not a little boy..your mother just won't leave me alone!

"Yes I'm fine Kadin..where were we".I ask him smiling.

"You were discussing different ways to improve our D and T... sir.''.

''Oh yes.. Well Thank you Kadin. Okay our defence is very strong we just need to concentrate on our tackling methods. I want you to take your positions and see where we are''.

I blow my whistle and watched my kids do their thing. So I made a point of not thinking about her at all..I almost succeded, quite proud of the fact...that was before I saw her again.

*****

''Mr white could I have a word please" I turn to see none other than the woman I have been avoiding at all costs...I groan inwardly.

Allah !you are truly testing me today.

She walks into my office and I gesture for her to take a seat, which she does. My heart is deciding to have a mind of its own and is picking up its pace especially that she is so near and I can have a clear view of her beautiful face.

''Uh..How can I help Med..Mrs Abassi". God..This formal shit is really getting on my nerves but she started it and I'll just have to go with it.

''Uh..Mr white, My son Kadin will be celebrating his sixth birthday tomorrow and He wants you to attend..now if you don't....''

"It would be a pleasure."

What !!

What the hell!!

What happened to AVOIDING her at all cost stupid man!!

"What? Really? Are you sure?

She looks and sounds more surprised than me. I wonder why?

"Yes. Kadin is one of my favourite students. He's a  lovely lad to teach ..how can I refuse him". I finish smiling.

"Ok...Good. Here's your invitation and please feel free to bring someone along''. She says this whilst avoiding my eyes.

''Well that's great. I will just have to check with her first but Thank you''. I take the card of her and accidentally by thumb brushes against her inner wrist. She quickly takes her hand away and I see that her blushes have made an appearance.

Fuck! What is she doing to me. Why does she still react that way if she is married. I guess I'm not the only one then..but what does it mean?.

''Why do you do that?''. What the fuck? Did I just say that out loud?

She looks up at me with confusion, the tinge of red still adorns her cheekbones.

''What do you mean?''

''Nothing forget it ..I'm just being st..."

''No! What is it? What am I doing?''

I get up feeling flustered now and hate myself for it. Why can't I just be fucking normal around her?. Why do I have to act like a fool?

"Like I said it's nothing..I look forward to tomorrow Mrs Abassi''.

She gets up and gather her things.

''Thank You. I know it's short notice but he was really adamant. He really likes you jake..and I can't refuse him, especially when he looks at me with those eyes". She smiles when she mentioned Kadin.

And there goes my heart again..for she also called me by my name.

She looks at me waiting. Shit .

''Do you know that you I just heard you called me by my name after six years.....Medina" My voice is strange even to my ears for I see her eyes widened.

''I'm sorry..I wa...''

I put my finger against her lips. So soft, just like I remembered.

''Please Medina. Don't say anything just....''

I don't finish for I see What I'm doing and quickly remove my hand.

''I'm sorry Medina..please forgive me. I had no right....''

I don't finish , she quickly turns around and heads for the door, she then stops not turning around.

''Please make sure that doesn't happen again Mr white and I'll see you tomorrow''.

She walks out... quietly closing the door behind her. I preferred that she had slammed it ..the old Medina would have.

Crap...what am I doing? Why did I just made things akward as fuck?

Great I have to face her again tomorrow and that at her home where no doubt I will come face to face with her husband. I don't think I'm ready for that. Maybe I should cancel. Make up some excuse at the last minute.

Then I think of the blue eyed cutie who will be expecting me and I know I will be attending no matter what. I maybe a lot of things but I can't let down someone who is relying on me.

Kadin has somehow wormed his way into my heart. I suppose the fact that he is the flesh and blood of Medina may have something to do with it, but I know it's not only that. He reminds me so much of myself. His attitude and confidence are so familiar.

So I guess I will be attending his party tomorrow. I can't refuse him. His mother's right, one look into his eyes and your damned. That little man is going to be a heartbreaker one day and he doesn't even know it. Or maybe he does. I know I was a right cocky little bugger.

Smiling I finish of and close everything down. I think I will call Kelly to come down as my plus one. I haven't seen her in ages and she has some time off from work. Also It will be a surprise for Medina and Kelly both. I know they stay in contact but they rarely meet up with Kelly's job as an air stewardess.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, providing of course I stay away from Medina. Which is like asking the moon to stop orbiting around earth. So I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Ya Allah..it's me again.. You know what to do.