01. Back At Work

I laid out in the sun, breathing in. Vacation was often a myth in the assassin world and I was planning on enjoying it very much. I was finally relaxing and I loved it so much.

My phone rang and I sighed. Barely anyone called or messaged me except for work. I reached over and picked up my phone, seeing a message from Nick. I was one of the only people who could call Fury by his first name, as he raised me and I was his favorite out of everyone he knew.

I picked up. "Yes, Dad?"

"We need you back," Nick said. "We're having an important meeting you need to attend."

I sighed. "Dad, I just got here and you know I've always wanted to visit."

Nick's voice grew quieter. "I know, sweetheart, but you're needed. I'll make it up to you."

I snorted, sitting up. "Yeah, sure, when pigs fly. Have you sent a plane out?"

"Yes, with your dear friend Clint flying it," Nick said. "You'll be back to your dream vacation in no time."

"Unless aliens attack or a case comes up." I sighed once more, picking at the plastic weaving of the beach chair I had been laying on. "I hope it's worth it because I won't talk to you for the rest of my life."

"It is, sweetheart, and I will make it up to you," Nick said, his voicing breaking a little. I knew he wanted me the best for me. "I love you more than anything, Charlie."

I stayed quiet for a moment. I loved Nick with all my heart and he raised me as well as he could. He taught me everything I knew.

"I love you too, Dad. I'll see you soon."

The call ended and I stared at my phone. After too long, I got up and headed to my hostel room. I packed my stuff and found myself alone. I had often been alone growing up and that led me to hide away, quieter than a church mouse.

It was Nick's fault. He had a busy life with his job and often left me with a live-in nanny. We would talk over the phone, of course, but my father was absent a lot of the time.

I went to the airport and I was escorted to the tarmac. I got into the plane and sat next to Clint at the controls. He was dressed in his usual work clothes, his bow within reach.

I hugged him and kissed Clint on the cheek. "Hey old man. How's life?"

"Just fine, kid," Clint replied. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah," I said, pressing buttons and getting ready for take off. "I hate to leave though. I was beginning to like it here."

"You know that's never a good idea," Clint said. "Didn't Fury raise you better?"

"When he was around, yeah," I replied. "Let's just go. I want to get this over with so I can come back."

The plane took off and we were on our way in no time. The plane was set to autopilot and I stared out the window, wishing I wasn't there.

"I've seen that look," Clint said. "What is it, kid?"

"I don't want to be here," I replied. "Dad is always dragging me around to places."

Clint pressed a few buttons. "It's almost as if he's your dad and it's his job. You're also one of the best assassins around."

"He has Natasha," I pointed out, crossing my arms.

Clint raised an eyebrow at me. "He wants to protect you by keeping you close. You were too far away for his comfort."

"Is that why he sent you after me?" I asked. "Because you're my best friend and Dad only really trusts you?"

Clint paused, taking too long to answer. "Yeah, kid."

I sighed and rested my head against the wall, murmuring, "I'm not a kid anymore. I'm in my twenties. I just want to go home, Clint, and not have to deal with any work. I want to relax for once."

"I know, kid," Clint said. "I'll tell Nat to let you be for a little bit once we come back. Do you still want to be hidden by the others?"

"Yeah," I replied softly. "I still don't understand how they don't see me. It's almost as if I'm invisible."

"I see you," Clint said. "Nat sees you."

"Dad doesn't," I said, bitterness seeping through.

Clint stared at me for a prolonged period of time before looking away. It took a few hours before we finally got to New York.

I grabbed my stuff and marched past Fury. He called my name but I ignored him. I got to my room and threw my bags against the wall, falling against the bed. I could feel the anger boiling up in me but before I let it get to me, I sat up and started breathing as I closed my eyes.

I was alone for half an hour before there was a knock. I got up and opened it. Nick stood there with a bar of chocolate.

"Meeting starts in five," Nick said.

"Trying to bait me down?" I asked.

"Is it working?" Nick asked.

I snatched the bar out of his hand. "I'm only doing it out of obligation. Now get out of my way."

I brushed past Nick and speed-walked to the elevator. Nick joined me and we stood beside me, staying quiet for only a few seconds.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, for pulling you in so quickly," Nick said. "It's a very important meeting."

I clutched my chocolate bar. "It better be. I haven't had a vacation day since I started, Dad!"

"I know -"

The doors opened and I stormed out. I powerwalked into the meeting room and sat in the corner, pulling up my hood to hide my face. The other Avengers arrived and ignored me. Except for Clint and Natasha, who were my only friends.

Nick stood at the head of the table and began the meeting. I listened and watched as bickering and debates were thrown around. I kept my mouth shut, as I was supposed to be. The Avengers couldn't know who I was or who I was related to. They couldn't know my dad was Nick Fury.

After a long meeting, the Avengers dispersed and I got up too, heading for the kitchen. Rhodey was in there with a cup of coffee. I paused when I saw him, my heart beating wildly.

Rhodey looked up from the paper, sipping his coffee. "Hello. I don't think I've seen you around. Are you new?"

I shuffled forward a little, snatched a banana off the counter. "No, I'm a friend of Natasha. How was the meeting?"

Rhodey flipped the page. "Uneventful, as usual. What's that?"

He waved to my chocolate bar in one hand. I had barely touched it during the meeting as I thought it'd be too loud.

"Dark chocolate," I replied, peeling back the wrapper. "I don't like milk or white chocolate so I'm left with this kind. Dark is the best way to go, after all."

Rhodey coughed a little as he sipped his coffee. "Sometimes, yes." He reached out to shake my hand. "What's your name? I'm James Rhodes or Rhodey for short."

I shook his hand. "I'm Charlie. It's nice to meet you, Rhodey. I don't think Natasha has introduced us."

"Because you don't show up often enough, boo," Natasha said as she strolled in. "Hey, Rhodey. This is Charlie, as you may have noticed. She isn't very social."

"Neither are you," I shot back.

Natasha laughed. "Don't mind her, Rhodey. She doesn't bite hard."

I laughed and finished one last piece of chocolate. "I'll see you around, Nat. Don't get in too much trouble."

Nat and Rhodey's laughter followed me out of the room. I smiled on the way up to my room, picking at the chocolate wrapper. Nat was my best friend and I loved her.

I stepped off at my floor and walked into my room. Nick was standing by the window, looking out across New York.

I went over to my desk. "You're always for the flare of dramatics, aren't you, Dad? Can't I get some peace and quiet around here?"

Nick looked at me, smiling softly. "I've come to talk, kid. Please, sit down."