24. I Love You For Life, Sweetheart

A few weeks after I visited Rhodey and Tony, I was still on my mission to find Dad. I hadn't gotten engaged with Rhodey yet because I dipped before he could ask me. I had more important things to do than getting engaged. I loved Rhodey but I wasn't ready. Not yet.

I sat at a café, watching the people around me. As part of my training as an agent, I had to be able to watch the people around me. I had also gotten intel that Dad was in the city and would be nearby where I was. I was hoping he already knew I was around and would meet me at the café.

The chair beside me scrapped across the floor and Dad sat down. He had a drink in his hand and was dressed almost like a homeless person, with an old man hat and a black leather jacket. His clothes were ruffled up and he had a pair of sunglasses on to hide his face.

"I should've known you'd find me sometime," Dad commented.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked. "I needed to know you were safe."

"Of course I am," Dad said. "I was the Director."

I glared at him. "I was worried about you, Dad. There's a lot going on."

Dad kept his eyes on the crowd. "I know. I have my contacts on the inside. I'm worried about you as well, kid. You haven't been with Coulson's crew in a while. Have you really spent that long looking for me?"

I nodded. "I wanted to find my dad."

Dad finally looked at me, smiling. "I'm glad. I missed you a lot while I was gone. I know we won't be able to see each other for a long time. It sucks but it has to be done."

"You can come to stay at the house," I offered. "It's a safe place."

Dad raised an eyebrow. "A father shouldn't be living with his daughter."

"Dad . . ." I groaned.

Dad smiled. "I'll keep it in mind, kid. I wouldn't mind seeing my son-in-law again."

I gave Dad a confused look. "But Rhodey and I aren't engaged yet."

Dad shrugged. "He will be. Remember, kid, I have intel on the inside. Rhodey's been talking about proposing for a long time. Such a pain that you left the day he was going to propose."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't make me feel worse about it. I know I shouldn't have left him but I had to go. I have SHIELD and finding you. I have a lot on my plate."

"Take a break, Charlie. You deserve it."

I shrugged, looking away as I shook my head. "I can't."

"You can and I'm giving you an order," Dad commanded. "I had your superior and the former director of the organization you currently work for. Take a break, get engaged, spend some time with your fiancé. You deserve it, sweetheart."

I rolled my eyes, smiling a little. "Fine, Dad. I just need to know you'll come around sometime. I need my dad to walk me down the aisle after all."

Dad smiled. "Of course I will. I have my baby to think about. I'll see you around, okay?"

I nodded as we got up. I hugged Dad, holding him for longer than normal. He held me just as tight and when we finally pulled away, I had tears in my eyes.

Dad wiped any tears away from my face and kissed my forehead. "I'm going to miss you, Charlie, and just know that I love you with all my heart. Make sure to wear my jacket every once and a while, okay?"

Tears streamed down my face as I laughed. "Yeah, sure. I love you, Dad."

Dad hugged me one last time before disappearing into the crowd. I wiped my face and left the café. I returned to where I put the Quinjet. I calmed myself down before I took off. Out of habit, I started braiding my hair. It was something Dad did a lot when I was younger. He'd tell me stories late at night while we sat on his old couch, him braiding my hair while I read.