07. Invitation You Can't Deny

I walked back into the Tower after months of being gone. Another mission was done with. It felt great to be back again though I didn't want to face Rhodey. I had talked with Nat about what happened and she thoroughly apologized. What surprised me a lot was when Rhodey called me to apologize. We continued talking while I was gone and got to know each other more. It was sweet to talk to someone from home. Over time, my feelings stopped being so prevalent but still remained. Not enough to act upon but still hanging out in the back of my mind.

I went to my room and started unpacking my bags. Everything was quiet and peaceful. I was grateful for the lack of people. Though I was around people a lot, I was an introvert and got easily tired when I've been around so many people.

Nat came in a half hour later. "Hey, Charlie. How was it?"

I tossed my bag into a corner. "It went well. I'm not dead so I think it was a success."

Nat laid on my bed. "Have you talked to Rhodey lately?"

"Not in about a month," I replied. "Why do you ask?"

"There's a party coming up and a little birdy told me he's going to ask you," Nat answered. "I'd say yes if I were you."

I laughed. "He won't. We barely know each other. And who's going to this party? Is it just the Avengers or a bunch of others?"

"The Avengers and a few agents," Nat replied. "I don't believe there will be too many of us."

"I'll show up," I said. "I doubt Rhodey will ask me though. I'm pretty sure I'm not his type."

"That's not what he told me earlier," Nat said.

I laughed. "Whatever. When is it?"

"Friday at eight," Nat replied. "I'd look nice if I were you."

I threw a look at her. "I always look nice, Nat. Don't play me."

"Mhmm," Nat hummed. "I think we need to redo your entire wardrobe."

"Will you stop with that?" I snapped. "My outfits are great and I hate you. Just because I have a different style than you doesn't mean I don't have style."

Nat rolled her eyes and I continued unpacking. Once I finished, I sat on my bed to talk to Nat. We hung out for a while before there was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I called out.

Rhodey appeared through the open door. "Hey. Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I said. "I have an extra seat."

Nat got up and moved to the bed for Rhodey. We sat in my room for a few hours, talking and hanging out. Everything flowed so easy and I didn't get nervous at all with Rhodey around. Maybe my feelings were finally gone.

Later that evening, Rhodey looked me in the eye. "There's this party Tony is hosting. Do you want to go with me?"

I smiled. "Yeah, sure. I can't wait."

Rhodey smiled a little. "Great. It's a way to say sorry for pushing you away all those months ago."

"I just needed space," I said. "It's not your fault."

"It is," Rhodey said. "I said something I shouldn't have and you left. I feel bad about it, Charlie, and you left because you thought I didn't return your feelings."

I looked at him confused, glancing at Natasha. "You like me? Are you crazy? Have you seen my face?"

Natasha clicked her tongue. "Oh, Charlie. You're a beautiful woman and anyone would be an idiot if they didn't think so."