04. Low-key

I holed myself in the library of Stark Tower, biting my thumb as I read a book. I didn't want to be bothered by anyone at the moment but I had a feeling someone would come to find me.

The doors creaked open and Nat walked in with Rhodey. She grinned at me as she walked across the library. I glared at her, giving her my dirtiest look. She knew things I didn't want anyone knowing.

She joined me after a few minutes, Rhodey sitting beside her. "Good afternoon, Charlie."

I looked back at my book. "Afternoon, Natasha."

"Do you guys know each other?" Rhodey asked.

"Yes," Natasha replied. "She's my best friend. Charlie, I believe you've met Rhodey before."

I turned the page, refusing to look at them. "A few times. None of them strike up a memory."

"You don't show your face often," Rhodey noticed. "That's why I don't recognize you very well. You aren't around often."

"Oh, she's around a lot." Natasha's grin was so wide that even I could see it when I wasn't looking. "She's nervous around cute guys."

"I am not," I shot back. "Besides, barely anyone around here is relatively attractive."

"Except for -"

I finally raised my eyes to glare at Nat. "Say it and I will kill you."

"Are you sure you two are friends?" Rhodey asked, looking between us. "I don't think friends act like that."

I smiled a little, switching to Hindi. "I don't think he has good friends if he doesn't threaten them with murder."

Nat laughed. "I don't believe so. I like the look of confusion on his face though. Isn't it cute?"

"Good thing he doesn't speak Hindi," I replied. "He doesn't know about my thing, does he?"

Nat raised her eyebrow. "Which one?"

"All of them."

Nat glanced at her nails. "No. I won't tell him yet."

I glared at her and she laughed.

I closed my book and stood up, speaking in English. "I should be going now. I'll see you soon."

I left them sitting there. My heart was racing and my thoughts were racing. That happened often when I was around Rhodey. I had tried to suppress my emotions but when I did, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I shook my head and walked through Stark Towers. Tony Stark had kindly let me stay here. He had been pressured by an anonymous source - quite obviously Nick - to let me stay. I was sure he had his suspicions of who my dad was but he couldn't be sure. He was a genius but he couldn't figure my life story out. Tony had asked me several questions about my life, trying to pry into my brain, but it never worked.

I entered the main living room and found Tony sitting on the couch. He was looking through some screens in front of him. I walked up to him and sat beside him, quietly watching as he flicked through everything.

"What're you looking at?" I asked softly.

"Work," Tony murmured. "I'm swamped."

"Need help?" I asked.

Tony nodded and handed me a pair of high tech glasses. I slipped them on and started helping Tony. We worked together, throwing insults and jokes at each other. We weren't close but we definitely had our inside jokes and special insults.

We got lost in work and before we knew it, it was late. I took off my glasses and found Rhodey sitting in front of us, a smile on his face.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Nothing," Rhodey said. "Just watching two nerds."

I threw a pillow at him as I got up. "I hate you."

"I'm kidding, sweetheart," Rhodey called as I stormed off.

I threw the finger over my shoulder, causing the two left behind to laugh. I smiled a little as I entered the kitchen. I was putting together some food when Rhodey walked in a few minutes later.

"Hey," he greeted.

I glanced at him. "Hey."

"I didn't mean to offend by calling you sweetheart earlier," Rhodey said. "I don't know what I was thinking."

"I accept for your apology," I replied as I grabbed a banana.

Rhodey searched my face. "What made you join Shield?"

I broke the peel on the banana, shrugging. "Weird thing to ask. Family thing, I guess."

Rhodey leaned against the counter. "Got a parent in Shield?"

I looked up at him. "Why are you asking these questions?"

Rhodey shrugged. "You're mysterious to me. I want to know more."

I started walking off. "Well, I suggest talking to Natasha or Clint. They're my friends. You, however, aren't. You have to be a higher level of security to know my personal history."

I walked off, passing Steve Rogers. He didn't even acknowledge my presence. I was invisible to most people, a quiet force to be reckoned with. And that's the way I liked it.