11. Advice

I struggled to get clothes on. I was angry at myself for letting myself sleep with Rhodey. It was a mistake and I shouldn't have done it. Nick taught me better. The Academy taught me better. I had better standards too. I always told myself to never sleep with someone after only a few dates.

I left my room to head to the lab. I started working, ignoring the rest of the world. I got a lot done before Rhodey came in to talk to Tony. I turned my back and put in headphones. I didn't actually start any music so I could listen to their conversation.

"Is Charlie mad?" Rhodey asked.

"Looks like it," Tony answered. "Did you do something to her?"

"Not that I know of," Rhodey replied.

"I saw you two leave the party early," Tony commented. "Where'd you guys go?"

Rhodey paused for a moment. "Her room."

Tony was probably grinning. "Ooo. What did you guys do?"

I looked back just in time to see Rhodey bump Tony with his elbow. We made eye contact for a moment before I looked away. I returned to what I was doing, completely ignoring the two behind me. I jumped when someone grabbed my arm. It was Rhodey, looking at me with a gentle look.

"What?" I asked as I pulled out the earbud to hear better.

"Can we talk?" Rhodey asked.

I pulled my arm away as I looked back to the thing in front of me. "No, I'm busy."

"Please? It'll only take a minute."

"I told you my answer," I snapped. "Leave me alone."

"Charlie -"

"She told you her answer, Colonel."

I looked toward the voice to see Nick coming down the stairs. Rhodey stepped away as Nick got closer.

"Charlie, go meet me in my office."

I nodded and as I walked past, I paused momentarily. "Don't hurt him too badly, Nick."

He met my gaze. "I won't promise anything. It is my job to protect my own."

I rolled my eyes and headed for the stairs. "I'll meet you there, Nick."

I closed the door behind me, sure that Nick had already started lecturing Rhodey on how to treat me. I was sure that he had somehow found out what was going on between Rhodey and I. It wasn't ideal to have your father know your personal details but it was inevitable, even more so when my father was the director of the most secretive organization ever.

I went into Nick's office and found Coulson standing there. He smiled at me as I sat down. I crossed my arms and scowled at the desk in front of me.

"Is something wrong, Charlie?" Coulson asked.

I shrugged him off. "Nothing."

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"It's really nothing, Coulson," I replied. "I'll tell you after this."

"Call me Phil," Coulson said. "You've known me long enough. You've earned the right."

I smiled faintly. "Okay, Phil."

We walked out to join the others. I started talking with Skye as we walked up the ramp. We left soon after and I sat on a couch. Skye joined me and we started talking. We talked about a lot of things.

"Do you have anyone?" Skye asked.

I shook my head, not daring to mention Rhodey. "No. I don't really need someone right now. Agent life and all. Do you?"

Skye shook her head as well. "No. We're constantly moving around on the Bus going all over the place. Though I do agree that I need someone."

I brushed some hair out of my face. "I don't bother dating anyone for a while. I can't with this line of work. I have thought about who I would settle down with but I wouldn't bother now. There . . . was someone but it doesn't matter now."

"Is he dead?"

I shook my head. "No, nothing like that. It's still being worked out."

"I understand," Skye said. "Life's complicated."

May poked her head into the room. "It's time for a meeting."

--

After the meeting, I returned to the room I was sharing with Skye. Laying in bed, I stared at the ceiling above me. It was silent for about an hour before Skye came in.

"Hey," she greeted.

"Hey," I replied, sitting up. "What's up?"

"It's time for dinner," Skye said. "If you're hungry."

I nodded as I got up. "Yeah, I'll come. What's on the menu?"

Skye shrugged. "It's always a mystery. We don't always have a lot on the Bus."

I followed her out to the main room of sorts. Everyone else was there. I sat with them as we ate whatever could be found. I was quiet most of the time, watching everyone. I made eye contact with Phil and he smiled softly at me, a knowing expression on his face. When we were done, Phil called me into his office.

I sat in one of his chairs and leaned back. "Yes?"

"What's on your mind, Charlie?" Phil asked. "Something's off and I'm worried about you."

I sighed, looking down. "I made a mistake. I slept with someone who I really care about and who's a really nice and caring guy. I don't necessarily regret it but . . . I promised myself that I wouldn't do something like that until much later after meeting someone. It's weird and I . . . I'm trying to work it out."

"Do you need advice?" Phil asked.

"That'd be great," I answered. "I'd talk to Dad but he's . . . definitely a guy who's very protective of me."

"I say talk to him when you have the chance to," Phil said. "Explain what you think and how you feel. It's worth talking about that."

I leaned against my fist. "It won't make it better if I wait, huh?"

Phil shook his head. "It's best if you do as quickly as possible."

I stood up. "Thanks, Papa Phil. I'll see you around."

Phil smiled to himself as I walked out. I went into a quieter room and pulled out my phone. Opening my phone, I stared down at Rhodey's number. I sighed and pressed the call button, bringing the phone up to my ear. It rang a few times before Rhodey answered.

"Hey," I greeted. "You got a minute?"