06. First Mistake

I returned back after a long job with Coulson. He dropped me off at the helicopter pad at Stark Towers and left me to my own devices.

I shouldered my bag and walked into the building, pressing my phone to my ear. The dial rang, going straight to voicemail. I rolled my eyes. Typical Nick.

I heard the beep. "Hey, it's me. I'm back from the job with Coulson. I'll talk to you whenever you have the chance and we know it'll take a fat moment. I'll update you when I get the chance. I have training all week."

I pressed the end call button as I entered an elevator. I leaned against the wall and waited. I needed a few floors down. The elevator stopped too early and Rhodey stepped in. I smiled a little and looked down.

"Hey," Rhodey greeted. "How was your mission?"

"Good," I replied. "It was long though and I'm definitely down for sleep."

I saw Rhodey glance at me.

"Do you like me?" Rhodey asked.

I looked at him, beginning to feel terrified that he found out. "Yeah. You're a nice guy. I enjoy your presence a lot."

Rhodey's face was serious. "Not like that, Charlie."

I looked away, clenching my fists. "So Nat told you."

"Yes, she did," Rhodey said. "Right after you left at the cafe."

I looked down and set my jaw. "I hate Natasha. Tell her she can fuck off. You too."

The doors slid open before Rhodey could answer. I marched off and went to my little spot of the Tower. It was a vent in the very corner of the Tower. Only Clint knew where it was and he wouldn't be around for a few hours.

I got to my spot and curled up as best as I could. I stared at the wall a few inches from my face. I trusted Nat and she told Rhodey my feelings. I felt like a teenager with all these feelings but trust was a big thing for me. I had known Nat for years and she knew I didn't want Rhodey to know. Rhodey was at least twenty years older than me. I was too young for him. Why would he like me anyways? I wasn't attractive and unlikable.

I heard someone climbing through the vents. I looked up to see Clint a few feet from me. He scooted closer and rested his chin on his hands.

"Hey there, kid," Clint said. "How are you?"

"I'm tired," I murmured. "I might just camp up here. I don't want to be around people."

"I heard what happened," Clint said. "I thought it was an assholish move of Nat."

"I don't hate her," I muttered. "She made a mistake and I have to pay for it. I was going to leave the Tower for a bit. Hopefully, I'll be gone long enough for both my feelings and this whole thing to blow over."

"Rhodey is a nice guy," Clint stated.

"Nicely reject me, yeah," I said as I shifted onto my back. "I don't want to be rejected by him."

"So you'll run off and hide," Clint said, "so you don't have to say anything."

"Exactly," I said. "I don't want him to see my face after what Nat said. I can't face him."

Clint started combing through my hair. "Everything will work out just fine, kid."

"It was still a mistake to trust Nat with that information," I said. "I should have kept to myself, just like everything else."

Clint tugged at a knot. "I think you should let it be. It may have been a mistake but it could lead to something brilliant."

I laughed a bit bitterly. "I hate you, Clint. Why do you have to be so smart about things?"

"Because I've been around," Clint replied. "I do think everything has a reason for being. You should talk to Nat about it and how it made you feel. She would understand how it hurt you."

"Or she wouldn't," I snarked. "She hasn't liked anyone in the history of forever. She wouldn't know or understand. I'm leaving until this finally blows over. I've already asked Dad to send me somewhere besides here. I'm not doing anything worth doing anyway."

"We care about you, Charlie," Clint said. When I huffed, he squeezed my shoulder. "We care about you so much. Don't get hurt while I'm not around, okay? I wouldn't be there to help you."

I looked back at him. "I can take care of myself, Clint. I'm a big kid now."

Clint smiled a little. "I know but I still worry about you. You're like my little sister."

"And I'm glad that I have a brother like you," I said. "I'll be just fine. If I need you or Nat, I'll call. If I die, I'll just walk it off. I've got shit to do."

Clint smiled. "Of course, kid. Ready to head down?"

"Yeah," I replied. "I'm hungry."

Clint and I went downstairs to the kitchen. I hopped onto the counter as Clint dug around in the fridge.

"What do you want?" Clint asked. "There's a lot in here."

"Are those tacos still in there?" I asked.

Clint pulled out a container. "Here. Get some for me too."

"I will," I said as I got some plates. "How many?"

Clint pulled out a beer. "Three sounds about right. Do you want one?"

I glanced at him as I got some tacos out. "No thanks. I'm not the drinking type. There should be a grape Arizona in there. Grab it for me?"

"What's the magic word?" Clint asked.

"Jackass," I replied.

Clint smiled and handed me the Arizona. I cracked it open and took a sip as I put a plate of tacos into the microwave. I was pulling out the plate when someone walked in. I looked over my shoulder and saw Rhodey. He nodded to me but I ignored him and put another plate in.

I put some stuff in my tacos before leaving. Clint called my name but I didn't respond. I went out to a balcony and sat in a chair. I watched the hectic city around me as I ate. The door opened beside me and Rhodey sat beside me.

"Lovely day, isn't it?" Rhodey asked.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"To talk," Rhodey said. "We didn't finish our conversation from earlier."

"What's there to say?" I asked. "I don't have anything for you."

"Charlie, I don't know you but from I heard, you're a nice kid," Rhodey said.

I set my plate aside. "I'm always just a kid. 'Good luck, kid.' 'Don't die out there, kid.' 'I love you, kid.' I'm an adult but I will always be a kid. And yes, I am too young for you and that's why you don't like me back. Just leave me be and I won't like you anymore. I am just a kid, after all. What do I know?"

I got up, grabbing my plate as I left. Rhodey grabbed my arm and pulled me back. I struggled but he kept a hold. I shoved my plate into his stomach and swiped his legs out from under him.

"Don't come around me for a bit," I said. "I have to be alone so I can get rid of whatever I feel."

I turned and walked away. I went to my room and called Nick. When he didn't answer (typical), I left a message and laid back on my bed. I wanted this to be over.

Mistakes Were Made (Avengers/James Rhodes)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें