21. Returning

I had spent a few weeks in Wakanda, helping Shuri with the Rhodey's braces and talking with the government. I was busy with a lot but I enjoyed every minute of it. Wakanda was a wonderful place to spend time, even if it was for work. But good things come to end. It was time for me to return home.

I finished packing up and joined T'Challa and Shuri in the hallway. They walked me to the Quinjet, which had the Dora Milaje lining the way.

"Do you have everything?" T'Challa asked as we got to the Quinjet.

"Yes," I replied, smiling at Shuri. "And the braces too. I'll make sure to tell Rhodey everything that's needed about them."

"Rhodey?" Shuri asked. "You call a colonel by a nickname?"

"Yes," I replied. "Everyone does."

Shuri glanced at T'Challa. "Okay. I can't wait to see you again."

I smiled. "Me too. You can always come to New York and visit. I think you'll love it there."

Shuri gasped and clasped her hands together, grinning. "Could you take me to Coachella? T'Challa never takes me."

I laughed. "Of course. It's nowhere near New York but I'll take you whenever you want."

Shuri bounced up and down, glancing at T'Challa. He had a surprised look on his face and it caused me to laugh along with Shuri.

"Look, I got to go," I said. "I'll see you guys around, alright?" I pointed at Shuri. "Don't get into too much trouble without me, okay?"

Shuri hugged me. "I would never. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," I replied as I pulled away. "Come here, King."

T'Challa laughed as he smiled. "I am T'Challa to you, Agent."

I laughed, pulling away. "Whatever. I'll see you guys later. You have a way to contact me if it's needed, right?"

"Of course," T'Challa said. "We never know when we need an agent, right?"

I smiled, brushing T'Challa's shoulder softly. "Thankfully I'm one of the better ones. I'll see you guys sooner or later. I wouldn't want to get into too much trouble or the Director might have to send someone worse out."

T'Challa placed a hand on my cheek momentarily. I nodded before getting onto the Quinjet. I started it up and took off. Once I got to cruising altitude, I put it on autopilot. I got up from my spot and moved around the Quinjet. Shuri and T'Challa had gifted me with some gifts that were beautiful. I looked at a few of them, smiling at the memories that were tired with the gifts. God, I had so much fun.

I packed everything away and got back in the pilot's seat. I started some music and flew in mostly silence. I landed later that day with the lights of New York already shining from miles away. I landed at the SHIELD base there and went straight to Nick. He was sitting at his desk, his head in his hands. I leaned against the doorframe, watching him. I knew how stressful the job was for him.

"I'm back," I murmured.

Nick looked up and sighed. "Charlie. Come in. How was your mission?"

I moved to sit in a chair in front of his desk. "It went well. I had a lot of fun with T'Challa and his family. I'm glad I'm back though."

Nick smiled. "Me too. You're a welcome sight."

I tilted my head to the side. "Rough day?"

"Rough few weeks," Nick corrected. "I want you to know I love you."

I shrugged, rolling my eyes. "You're not going to go anywhere. You don't need to tell me now."

"Something will happen one day," Nick said. "I want you to know in case I can't talk to you. In case something happens."